First Partial Mash!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustybrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm going to do my first partial mash this weekend and need some feedback on my recipe.

3Lb Wheat DME
3Lb Light DME
1Lb Wheat Malt
1Lb Crystal 120L
.5Lb Honey Malt

1oz Hallertauer @ 60min
1oz Hallertauer @ 30min
1oz Chinook @ 30min

I'm thinking "WLP410 Belgian Wit II Ale Yeast", but if someone has a better suggestion let me know.

I'd increase the amount of malt to the maximum your equipment can handle - mashing just 1 lb of wheat malt really isn't really going to do much for your beer, and with such a small volume, it's going to be a major pain to keep the mash temp steady.

How big are your mash tun and your boil kettle?

+1 On that. Its actually easier to control the temperature as the volume goes up a bit. I would decrease the DME slightly and increase the grain bill to compensate. Good luck. I went to AG a while back but with the ever increasing number of kids in the house I have returned to PM and will probably remain there for some time.

I'd increase the amount of malt to the maximum your equipment can handle - mashing just 1 lb of wheat malt really isn't really going to do much for your beer, and with such a small volume, it's going to be a major pain to keep the mash temp steady.

How big are your mash tun and your boil kettle?

I agree. I just started doing partials a while ago, got the setup exactly like the article in BYOhttp://***********/stories/article/indices/48-partial-mashing/511-countertop-partial-mashing except I don't tie up the grain bag, just put it over the top and hold it in place with a big elastic. I can fit about 4 lbs of grain in there, plus a good gallon and a half of water, and hold the temperature for over an hour. Works great.

Thanks guys,
I'm more or less attempting to follow DeathBrewer's guide (here). I was planning on mashing in a smaller pot (2-3 gal capacity I think) and pour it into my boil pot (5 gal capacity). Also planning on topping off with water in my primary.

So I guess the general consensus is that I should add a second pound of wheat malt and maybe a pound of marris otter or something along those lines? Thanks again for the inputs!

-Russ

what IBU are you coming in at it looks too much even for a partial boil, i'd get rid of the chinook. Also there is no coriander and orange peel if your making a wit

what IBU are you coming in at it looks too much even for a partial boil, i'd get rid of the chinook. Also there is no coriander and orange peel if your making a wit

I was floating the idea of the Chinook, but I doubt I'll end up using them. I'm not trying to make a wit, but the yeast properties looked interesting. I'm just shooting for an enjoyable dark wheat. If you have a suggestion on a different yeast strain I'm open to suggestions!

For a dark wheat try a dunkelweizen. Also i'm not sure what a pound of 120L will do to the flavor seems like a lot.

For a dark wheat try a dunkelweizen. Also i'm not sure what a pound of 120L will do to the flavor seems like a lot.

I was originally looking at White Labs 300 or 380 but thought I'd mix it up a bit. If you think the results will suck, then I'll give one of those a shot.

Latest posts

Back