Quantcast

First original recipe (extract), how does it look?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

VA Brew

Active Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2007
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
So this is my first pale ale recipe, please let me know if you more intelligent people see any problems with it.

6.0# liquid light malt extract
1.5# dry light malt extract
0.5 crystal malt (caramel) US
0.25 Victory toasted US Briess
2 oz amarillo 8.9% (60 min)
1.5 oz simcoe 13.4% (20 min)
1.0 oz east kent goldings (dry hop) - depending on price and availabilty

I think the malt extract poundage and crystal malt are pretty basic. Throw in the victory for a little toasted taste and used the amarillo and simcoe hops because i have never used them before. does it seem alirght?:confused:
:ban: :ban: :ban: (daughter loves the dancing banana)
 

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
4,623
Reaction score
87
Location
Someplace
It looks very good, but you might consider dry-hopping with something other than EKG. It might seem out of place next to two distinctly American hops. What about using just a little of each of your hops? Also what if you split both hops between both additions?

In other words, perhaps do 1 oz Amarillo + .5 oz Simcoe for bittering, .75 oz Amarillo + .75 oz Simcoe for 20 minute, and then dry hop with .25oz of Amarillo, .25 oz of Simcoe?

1+.75+.25 = 2 oz Amarillo
.5+.75+.25 = 1.5 oz Simcoe

???
 

BigEd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2004
Messages
2,884
Reaction score
384
VA Brew said:
So this is my first pale ale recipe, please let me know if you more intelligent people see any problems with it.

6.0# liquid light malt extract
1.5# dry light malt extract
0.5 crystal malt (caramel) US
0.25 Victory toasted US Briess
2 oz amarillo 8.9% (60 min)
1.5 oz simcoe 13.4% (20 min)
1.0 oz east kent goldings (dry hop) - depending on price and availabilty

I think the malt extract poundage and crystal malt are pretty basic. Throw in the victory for a little toasted taste and used the amarillo and simcoe hops because i have never used them before. does it seem alirght?:confused:
:ban: :ban: :ban: (daughter loves the dancing banana)
Congratulations for not overusing crystal malt. That seems to be a problem with many recipes, especially for beginners. I think it looks good overall but I agree with Chriso about the Kent Goldings. IMO either use an American hop for dry hopping or if you like the Kents use more neutral or Brit hops for the body of the beer. Good luck with the brew!
 

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
4,623
Reaction score
87
Location
Someplace
BigEd said:
IMO either use an American hop for dry hopping or if you like the Kents use more neutral or Brit hops for the body of the beer. Good luck with the brew!
If you switch to the latter (Brit) hop option, some common ones are: Target, Challenger, Northdown, Bramling Cross, Fuggle, Nugget, Phoenix

http://www.brew365.com/hop_availability_chart.php is a page to help distinguish who has what in stock amongst retailers.

Whether you go american or british, your base recipe looks very good.

Finally, here's a chart to help you with deciding at what time you want your hops to go in:
 
OP
V

VA Brew

Active Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2007
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
chriso said:
It looks very good, but you might consider dry-hopping with something other than EKG. It might seem out of place next to two distinctly American hops.
I was planning to use the EKG because i read somewhere that it would give a different 'fruity' aroma but upon further review you guys where dead on. I went and looked back at the reference that i originally read and all of the hops were british hops. I am now going to split the amarillo and simcoe hops between full boil and dry hopping like you suggested chriso, thanks.

A side question...do you think the average beer drinker would be able to tell that something was off with the beer if american hops were boiled and british hops dry hopped?
 

BigEd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2004
Messages
2,884
Reaction score
384
VA Brew said:
A side question...do you think the average beer drinker would be able to tell that something was off with the beer if american hops were boiled and british hops dry hopped?
I doubt it. The average beer drinker probably knows as much about making beer as he does about string theory. :mug:
 
Top