First one gallon kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milleruszk

Reaction score
I made my first brew batch this past Saturday using a Brewers Best one gallon kit. After I transfered the wort into the primary fermenter and pitched the yeast I now have only about 2/3 of a gallon? I followed the instructions and started out with 1.5 gallons of water. Maybe I boiled off too much? Do I use the complete sugar package when I bottle?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Did you take a gravity reading?

You probably did boil off too much. If it were me, I would have added some boiled, cooled water to top up to 1 gallon. But at this point it's probably fermented most of the way out.

If you are using a bottling bucket you could add enough water at that point to top it up to where you want.

If you are using a bottling bucket you could add enough water at that point to top it up to where you want.

I would not recommend this, unless the water has been deoxygenated and kept that way, which is probably beyond the capabilities of a new brewer.

Do I use the complete sugar package when I bottle?
No.

You will need to either

1) adjust the amount of sugar added to the bottling bucket to match the volume of the beer that you have. Did the kit instructions include information on doing this?

2) add sugar to each bottle. Sometime kits come with "carbonation drops".

No.

You will need to either

1) adjust the amount of sugar added to the bottling bucket to match the volume of the beer that you have. Did the kit instructions include information on doing this?

2) add sugar to each bottle. Sometime kits come with "carbonation drops".

No kit came with 1oz of priming sugar. I will reduce the amount of sugar once I determine my exact volume. Thanks for your help.

Back