First Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tropical Mead

Reaction score
Super excited to be making my first mead. Everything was going well and I forgot to take the funnel off before adding the yeast and it just sort of clumped and fell to the bottom. The yeast has a very strong flavor. I'd describe it as kind of rancid. We are facing a massive heat wave with temperatures reaching 116F outside could this have possibly killed my yeast? The yeast I used is Lavlin D47. Any helps and tips are appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230606_174523.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230606_174643.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
How was the yeast stored before you pitched it? You'll know in a day or so if you have a problem with the yeast. If you don't see any activity or if your sg doesn't drop soon, add more yeast. You can rehydrate the yeast to make sure it's active. Your mead needs to be held around 68°F while fermenting if you can. If not, keep it as cool as you can with water bath and frozen bottles of water. Good luck

The yeast was stored in a plastic bag inside a box. The room always has a fan on. Over here Central A/C isn't a thing so the best I could do is put my shop blower on it to keep it cool. I have some lalvin k1-v1116 arriving later this month and some regular baking yeast at home if it would work. Would you recommend racking and storing it or adding regular yeast if the wine yeast died? Thanks for the help!

D47 is a nice yeast, but it really likes cooler fermentation temperatures in the low 60's F.

At higher temperatures it can/will give off weird flavors. I know of at least 1 meadery in the US where that is their primary yeast used and in some items at a high temperature.

I have always used it in the cooler range.

Update 1

After a couple of hours, it started overflowing from my airlock and onto the floor. It has seemed to slow down a bit but what I am guessing is the yeast?! I did remove the airlock and dumped out some excess. I don't know if that was the correct procedure. It seems to have calmed down from what it was doing a couple of hours ago. I think it overflow like a geyser on me when I add some nutrients tomorrow. Definitely gonna use the bigger carboy for my next batch.

Attachments

• 20230607_032949.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230607_032957.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Update 1

I think it overflow like a geyser on me when I add some nutrients tomorrow. Definitely gonna use the bigger carboy for my next batch.
Sanitize a small bowl. Extract some of the mead (sanitized turkey baster or wine thief) into the bowl and add and mix your nutrients there. Add back to the carboy and you won't have a nutrient induced eruption.

Sanitize a small bowl. Extract some of the mead (sanitized turkey baster or wine thief) into the bowl and add and mix your nutrients there. Add back to the carboy and you won't have a nutrient induced eruption.
I degassed it till the foaming stopped before adding the yeast nutrients and only very little overflow. Thankfully the insane foaming stopped. I have some more nutrients that I am planning to add. Fermentation seems to be going well.

UPDATE 2
It seems that fermentation has slowed down a fair bit. It's day 4 it's not bubbling as much and it seems less active. It's been in the high 80-90's this week. I've tried keeping it in a cool corner covered with a towel. I didn't take a reading since I don't have a hydrometer. Will be adding some yeast nutrients tomorrow and if it seems too slow I might add some yeast hulls.

Put your carboy or bucket in a tub of water to control temperature.
I just did that I am going to leave it over night and get some gravity readings once my sanitizer arrives. I didn't take a reading when I first mixed everything but hopefully, it turns out good!

While it's not ideal to have the yeast clump at the bottom, it's unlikely to significantly impact fermentation. The strong flavor you're experiencing may be due to compounds released by the yeast early on, but fermentation can help mellow it out. High temperatures can stress or kill the yeast, so try to cool the fermentation vessel using a cooler location, temperature control devices, or a water bath with ice packs. Monitor the temperature closely and consider pitching new yeast if fermentation stalls. Don't worry too much, as there's still a good chance your mead will turn out well. Or you can just buy a Kirkland Signature Liquor and have a good time)

Latest posts

Back