First Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BG73395

Reaction score
I started my first mead yesterday. I have brewed a few batches of beer and I wanted to give Mead a try. I bought a kit from Midwest and all went well. I have one question though... what is the "acid" for and what is the "acid"?? The midwest instructions said to add it in at secondary (when making a dry mead)

Anyway.. midafternoon today the airlock was making so much noise my girlfriend thought the toilet was broken:rockin: :D I cant wait to drink the stuff ... a long wait but hopefully it is worth it!

I have acid blend that I use, but I'm not sure that's what is meant. Acid blend is something like 25% tartaric acid, 25% malic, and 50% citric acid. Sometimes I use an orange or lemon instead of acid. Acid gives interest and a bit of a "bite" to meads. Do the instructions maybe mention acid blend or one of those acids?

and honestly, you don't HAVE to add acid blend. the acids can help balance some of the flavors, but that might not be necessary.

taste it first...you may like it without any acid blend, period. its added after fermentation so you could put it in at the end of secondary the day you bottle it without any ill effect.

thanks for the help... the acid blend came with the kit and was re-packaged in a small piece of plastic, so I had no idea what it was.

Back