First Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLTF

Reaction score
Hi everyone!big time newbe here.I have a gal of JAOM that has been in the jug for about 6wks now,should I leave it sit on the lees and wait for the fruit to drop before I rack?It seems to be clearing well.Thanks

You want to wait for it to become clear enough that you can read print through it, but you don't have to wait for the fruit to drop.

Medsen.

Thanks for the reply.Do u think it would do any harm to just let it alone and wait for the fruit to drop ?

It won't hurt to let it age longer - sometimes though, the fruit doesn't want to drop.

I started two batches of JAOM on New Year's Day, and the fruit finally just barely dropped below the surface of the mead this week. Prior to starting the batches, I decided that I was going to be patient, and wait to see how long before the fruit fully drops. So, just for reference, don't be surprised if it takes at least a couple months.

after 6 weeks, if it were me, I'd be racking it off the lees. let it clear more and then bottle it.
but that's what I would do.

I never rack my JAOM. I let it clear and bottle it from around the fruit. Everyone has their own preference and after you make a couple of batches you will too.

With all respect to summersolstice, I would have a hard time leaving the fruit and lees sit for over two months. But that's me being anal.
If you have a spare jug to rack to, I would do it once it's mostly clear. Then let it age until you just have to drink it.
Some day I may truly learn and understand patience, just not now!

As I said, to each his own. The original JAOM recipe directs you to bottle directly from the primary. Thousands of successful batches can't be wrong! :mug:

Thanks everyone.its clearing pretty well so ill just go ahead and bottle from the primary.between the fruit and the lees it looks theres only 3/4 of a gal in there.is there a trick to racking this so as i leave most of the lees behind?i notice that its really easily stirred up.

Back