first mead - when to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livingoutloud

Reaction score
I've finished making my first mead, and it turned out pretty okay, though I'm still learning the ropes. I'm trying to figure out when to bottle it. I started it at the start of November, and it has been racked once already. Everything I've read said to wait until the air lock stops bubbling, then give it a few weeks, or your bottles will explode. It stopped bubbling a month ago. I have since taken out the air lock and put the lid back on my carboy. Every morning I open it a little and it lets air out like opening a pop bottle. Does that mean fermentation is not finished yet? Should I rack it again? Do I wait until it completely stops before bottling? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

I'm no expert as I've only done a couple more batches than you have at this point but here's my 2 pennies: most of the fermentation should be done by now but you may want to consider adding potassium sorbate to it to stop any residual fermentation. Is there a layer of lees (dead yeast) at the bottom of the carboy? If so, I'd rack it again before I bottled. To answer your question, once fermentation has stopped, you can bottle any time you want. Is the taste where you want it? Are you planning on aging it for a significant length of time? As I understand everything, bulk aging in the carboy is generally preferable to letting it age in the bottles just because there's less risk of oxidation that way. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still waiting for my hydrometer (shipping to Canada is slow) but in the mean time I will rack again. There is some yeast on the bottom, so I will get it off of that.

Latest posts

Back