First mead tomorrow! Many more to come

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrad1

Reaction score
So I came into a large amount of raw honey. I'm going to start making a variety if different kinds of mead. For my first thought I would do a plain sweet mead. Got the Wyeast sweet mead yeast and made a 1.040 starter with some of the honey and added some nutrient. Omg my gravity sample tasted so amazing! ATTACH]211022[/ATTACH] ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405301004.141357.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405300994.555628.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405300994.555628.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 78
So I came into a large amount of raw honey. I'm going to start making a variety if different kinds of mead. For my first thought I would do a plain sweet mead. Got the Wyeast sweet mead yeast and made a 1.040 starter with some of the honey and added some nutrient. Omg my gravity sample tasted so amazing! ATTACH]211022[/ATTACH]View attachment 211023

Wow those are some fun looking raw honeys. That near black honey, is that buckwheat or scorched honey from a beekeeper using a hot knife to uncap his comb?

A bit of warning with the Wyeast sweet mead yeast. Don't be conservative with the nutrients. I would suggest doubling up on recommended dosages and feeding the nutrient in 3 installments over the first 6-7 days. So closer to 2tsp/gallon nutrient and 1tsp/gallon energizer. And make sure to mix up the mead daily if not twice daily for that first week. The yeast need the added oxygen whipped into the must to build a strong colony and the CO2 you degas as a byproduct of stirring keeps the PH from spiking too low.

If things are not done right that yeast is prone to stall well before its ABV limit and you have an undrinkable syrup on your hands.

Where do you come by honey like that?! Beautiful!

Best of luck, I'm staying tuned.

Well the honey was a gift from the gods. Got 35g for free from a farmer. I did 5 gallons total. Used roughly 1 gallon of honey to 4 g water. It had an og of 1.100. Added the yeast nutrient and a 2l starter of the Wyeast sweet mead. Fermentation took off the next day! I've been swirling the fermentor a couple times a day.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405510448.887587.jpg

Back