First mead recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danerelj

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm looking to make some mead over the weekend. I would quite like a sweet mead and not a dry one if possible.

Does anyone have any recipes for this such as honey quantities etc? I am going to start on a 1 gallon batch so the quantities for this volume? I know I need yeast nutrients and to use wine yeast :)

Thanks in advance,

Dan :)

Any quality varietal honey (orange blossom , Tupelo, west coast buckwheat, will result in a drinkable mead. Assume 1 lb of honey when dissolved to make 1 US gallon of must will have a potential ABV of about 1.035 (or about 4.5% ). Two pounds will have a gravity of about 1.070 and three pounds , a gravity of about 1.105.
You should assume that any yeast you use will ferment to dryness (ferment out every last grain of sugar) even 3 lbs of honey so the trick is to allow the yeast to have its way and then for you to back sweeten the mead. This is a lengthy process because you need to allow the yeast to age out, and then remove the mead from the yeast by racking every two or three months and then when there is no viable yeast inhabiting the mead, to stabilize the mead by adding K-meta and K-sorbate (in tandem) after which you can freely add more honey or sugar or other sweetener.
There is an alternative method and that is where you step feed the mead more and more honey until the yeast die of alcohol poisoning (there is a ceiling above which each strain of yeast cannot survive a concentration of alcohol but that concentration may be far higher than balances the flavor (so the mead may taste "hot" or too hot. But know that all the flavor in a mead made with ONLY honey comes from the honey but then the more flavor, the more concentrated the alcohol. So what you MIGHT consider is what additional flavors you might want to add to your mead to make it more interesting. Certainly, you could add fruit: berries, apples (use apple juice in place of water to dissolve the honey); flowers - hibiscus, elderflowers, heather; spices - ginger, cinamon - hops (I would boil your hops - could be pellets or cones in water (say, 10- 15 minutes) and use the tea to dissolve the honey.
If you want to add berries or other fruit to your mead many wine makers add such fruit to the secondary fermentation because they argue that adding fruit to the primary will result in much of the flavor and aromatics being blown off because of the very vigorous fermentation that takes place during the first few days.. but many professional wine makers argue that you have far, far more control over the finished mead if you treat the fruit and the honey as two very separate and distinct processes which you then blend before you bottle. (in other words, you may NEED 5 lbs of cherries or blackberries in each gallon to achieve the flavor you want with the honey you have but you may have room only for 3 lbs in the carboy with the honey... OR the honey may "want" one yeast while the fruit may need another to highlight certain flavors etc).

Ok can i get some tips on back sweetening? When is the best time to do this once the mead has finished fermenting and to been racked into another vessel? Also what type of sweetener can I use that's non fermentable? Looked at JOAM and it looks too simple and good to be true so I might do 2 batches side by side one JOAM and one plain honey!

Latest posts

Back