First malt mill choice (Belgian)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blou04

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been making wine since 2+years now, i've made 2 malt extract kits and an all-grain Braggot(from "The compleat meadmaker") and i want to start all grain.

I have 2 choices either buy pre-milled malt but i should throw away more than half of it each time, it's sold by 2,10 or 50lbs and i'm brewing 2.5gal. :(

Or i could by whole malt and mill it at home, but malt mills here are really epensive. Brouwland offers a Corona clone for 60E (sold in china for 20E). I'll be brewing 5-6 times a year and i don't want to spend more than 50E. Here's the alternatives i found:
A crappy small mill that apparently does an okay job: http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B001BPH8TE?keywords=moulin%20graines&qid=1442741934&ref_=sr_1_12&sr=8-12
A certainly overpriced slightly larger grain mill https://homebrewshop.be/en/malt-mills/577-malt-mill-eco-cast-iron.html
Thank you for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you have to throw your leftover crushed malt out? It will keep fine for years in well sealed plastic bags (Ziplock or ties), with the air purged out (good squeeze). Store it cool and dry.

Many use the EU20 Chinese Corona knock-off with great success, adjust the plate to get the crush you want. May need to use a steel washer as a shim.

Or you could spend a bit more and buy a home brewing purpose built grain mill. You'll only have to buy it once.

Just for interest, the prices on the home brewing site aren't bad except for the corona mills. The cereal masher mill is priced decently.
That mill can be found on sale over here right now for $99 (€66) Might be worth checking shipping rates

Thank you for the answers.
The thing is I don't want to spend more on a malt mill than i spend on everything else i bought specifically for brewing. Purpose built malt mills are too much for what i need. I will not crush more than 6lbs at a time and i don't mind spending time doing so, as long as it's not me directly using a rolling pin. :)
Chinese corona mills still cost twice here than what it costs your side of the Atlantic. I will probably go with that option anyway.
I heard malt keeps better unmilled, isn't there a loss of flavor or something?

I wouldn't say milled grain will keep fine for years but certainly months if well packaged.

Well, i ordered the victoria mill along with the ingredients of a scottish/60. I will brew it in the following weeks.

The Corona mill works fine, and is easily adapted to using a drill rather than the handle. That's expensive. I think I bought mine for $30.

You are right to get a mill. Yes, milled grain can stay fine for months, but when you get into different malts (2-row/Munich/Maris Otter/Rye/etc), you will find you end up keeping some for quite a long while. Then there is the specialty grains that you will inevitably end up getting extra of. I think I currently have about 150 lbs of many different grains, some a couple of years old. Keep whole grain dry (and cool) and sealed from vermin, and it will last a few years.

Your mill should eventually pay for itself.

Back