Copper Head Road? & Malting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clayton

Reaction score
Ok so last week I made 50 lbs of pail malt. this is my second wack at it.
I got the grain from the Co-op, it was just sold as barley but i got it febuary before the winter barley crop is harvested, it was from last summer and north dakota so i am 99% sure its 2 row malting barly.
anyway it was of a very high plump kernals%. I would say 90% plump it was very hard to find any that were not , I found more ergot, corn, milo, wild rice, and soy beans in there than non plump kernals and all that garbage from a 50lbs sack was mabey one cup.

anyway so it has been very rainy here and I got an idea a few weeks back watching the rain, I used it to malt my barley. first I cleaned the malt. then I soaked it for 4 hrs afterward I spead out a thick old wool blanken on my picknic table and spread out the grain. it rain non stop for the next 4 days and the gain malted nicely with out smell or water changing needed , after 3 days I couching the malt in a trash bag in my fementaion chamber 2 more days at 50f to get a full highly modified malt.

after that i dryed the malt on a sheet on the concreat floor of brew shop.
I set up 2 large constrution fans and let it dry for 12 hrs , then I fired up my burners and rasied the temp in the shop to 112f. I was not in there druing this phase I just had the fans up on tables pointed at the malt, with the burners below the fan below the air stream . I left that heat on for about 3 hrs. after I shut the gas off it stayed warm in there for about 12 more hrs, it was around 68 out side that day. I had a dehumidifier running as well.

the next day I shut off the fans and gathered up the corners of the sheet and closed off the bundel by binding up the ends with some copper wire .
after that I put the whole mess in an extra gas dryer I have, ran it twice on the longest hottest setting. I was kind worryed it would hurt the dryer but did not seem to do any harm. (side not the sheet was closed so that no malt could get out but it was not tite the malt was free to move around inside the sheet) after running the dryer twice all the roots had been knocked off the malt and it was compleatly dry.

I just got my monster mill in the mail today (woot) so I look forward to milling some up. I dont have alot of pics becase alot of the time it was raining at the other parts ,was just trying to get it done but next time I will take more pics.

as for the copper head part when I was moveing crap around to spead out the sheet, in the attched photo is what was coiled up in my brew kettal! I think they were a breeding pair,not anymore. I grabed the first thing I had loaded my 38cal long barrel revolver from between the box spring and mattres.

here is a pic of the malt drying in the brew shop with the heat on it was so hot in there the camra fogged up sorry :(

here are some shots of the grain after it had been kilned in the dryer and all the roots knocked off

Do you need to marinate those or is a simple seasoning on the grill sufficient?

And what carbohydrate goes with snake? Rice?

no lol. I grab a ratchet strap from off the shelf , looped it around the handel , draged it out side and then dumped it over.

a few years ago I would have just dumped it over and let them go.
but 2 years ago at an SCA event on a friday just got there, Melissa my wife got bit on the foot by a copper head, she is mega chick and insisted we stay all weekend, there where muti doctors and nurses at the event too or we whould have left, but there is little thay can do for copperhead bites the antivenom is way worse that the bite.

it was funny we got her one of thoes utility cart -big wheeld wagon and filled it with pillows and blakents , it was an SCA event so we loaded her up with lots of homebrew mead wine and beer , and pulled her around from event to event.

but she could not walk on her foot for six seeks it swelled up huge and it still hurts whent it's going to rain, cold or if its lightly bumped
so per the misses orders
poisonous snakes are K.O.S.

Back