First Lager, Starter Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeyR

Reaction score
I'm going to brew my first lager in a couple of weeks (Mexican Cerveza from DeFalcos in Houston) right before I go out of town for two weeks. My plan is to brew it and then put the bucket in the kegerator at ~50 for while I'm gone, then bring it up to room temp for 24-48 hours, keg it and store at 35-40 for 6 weeks.

Typically for my ales I don't use a yeast starter, but I have in the past, usually prepared in a growler. I know some people suggest a 4L starter for a lager and that seems like a lot of work.

My questions are:

1.) If I make the big starter, do I need to step it up to 4L or make it 4L from the start?

2.) What kind of container are people using to make starters this big? Do I need to buy a small carboy for this? Can I do two smaller starters?

3.) I've never used dry yeast before, but for the sake of simplicity is there any downside to using extra dry yeast packets instead of a starter?

4.) Is there anything wrong with my process as mentioned above?

Thanks all.

You can step it up, but if you make a 4L starter, you typically don't need steps, unless making a HUGE lager.

Buy a gallon jug, you won't be at 4L, but close. You can do two smaller starters.

Dry yeast will work, it is a matter of preference.

Sounds like you're ready to go. Lagers are awesome, you'll be happy with the extra effort producing results.

Thank you Cyclman. I'll get a gallon jug when I pick up the ingredients and use that.

1.) If I make the big starter, do I need to step it up to 4L or make it 4L from the start?
4l would generally be one step. use a tool like yeastcalc.com to help you decide. i often end up doing a 1l starter stepped up to a 3l starter, especially if i have older yeast
2.) What kind of container are people using to make starters this big? Do I need to buy a small carboy for this? Can I do two smaller starters?
the gallon glass jug from my lhbs. you could use a milk jug or something if it is well cleaned. two containers is also fine.
3.) I've never used dry yeast before, but for the sake of simplicity is there any downside to using extra dry yeast packets instead of a starter?
saflager s-23 is not most people's first choice for a lager strain - especially if you are wanting something clean and able to ferment in the low 50s. i'm not familiar with other dry lager yeasts, but if you find something you like, two packs with no starter should do it.

the white labs wlp940 mexican lager yeast is supposed to be awesome. maybe check that one out.

progmac said:
i'm not familiar with other dry lager yeasts, but if you find something you like, two packs with no starter should do it.

Exactly. I use S-23 every now and then and if you rehydrate two 11.5 gram satchets that is the perfect pitch. No starter needed.

I've had the best success with S-23 by pitching around 44 degrees and letting it rise up to 50 for the ferment. It eliminates the need for a diacytel rest.

Thanks guys. I think I will go the route of doing a starter in a 1 gallon jug.

How much does it matter if I just make a ~4L starter from the get go without stepping up from 1L?

I'm going to try my best to get the wort chilled down to 45 before pitching. This may be a challenge to do with my current setup, but it seems most favor this method over pitching a little higher and doing a diacetyl rest later.

Back