First Lager Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbo

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first attempt at a lager after 9 years brewing, and I want to know if I should be concerned..
I brewed a 1.057 OG Oktoberfest (all grain, mashed 150F for 90 min) with WLP833. Did a two step, two liters each starter and pitched in at 49F where it bubbled away for about 5 days before apparently stopping. I raised to 62F over the next couple days and took a hydrometer reading. I was very surprised to see 1.010 already!! Is this ok? The sample was very cloudy, tasted pretty yeasty, but otherwise without other off flavors that I can detect (no DMS, little to no sulfur, no green apple, maybe a little diacetyl right now though..)
I'm guessing I should go ahead and transfer to secondary and start lagering, but I was not expecting primary to blow through so fast, nor to be at this gravity already.
Thoughts from the lager guys?

Sounds good. Most of my lagers finish in around 7 days. If you can still detect diacetyl, give it another couple of days at 62. I drop to freezing before transferring to secondary for lagering, but I don't think it matters which way you do it.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not at all sure about the diacetyl, BTW.. I just poured a fresh Ayinger marzen (my benchmark) and I might be reaching a bit about that after comparing. I will absolutely crash it for a bit prior to transferring it to secondary. Like I said, its very cloudy now, which I wasn't expecting. I'm really hoping the flavor brightens up too. Strange that after years of brewing ales, I feel like such a novice again.

I'd warm it a few degrees and leave it a few more days. Simply smelling for diacetyl won't tell you anything (it can develop later) -- but Google diacetyl test and you can do that. Or simply give it a couple more days.
Cold crashing before bottling/kegging isn't necessary but won't hurt either.
Don't bother with a secondary. No reason for it, unless you relish the risks of oxygenation and infection.
Your beer will change dramatically over the next month, so don't be surprised that it's not good right now. That's lagers for ya.

I'm brewing my first attempt at a lager after 9 years brewing, and I want to know if I should be concerned..
I brewed a 1.057 OG Oktoberfest (all grain, mashed 150F for 90 min) with WLP833. Did a two step, two liters each starter and pitched in at 49F where it bubbled away for about 5 days before apparently stopping. I raised to 62F over the next couple days and took a hydrometer reading. I was very surprised to see 1.010 already!! Is this ok? The sample was very cloudy, tasted pretty yeasty, but otherwise without other off flavors that I can detect (no DMS, little to no sulfur, no green apple, maybe a little diacetyl right now though..)
I'm guessing I should go ahead and transfer to secondary and start lagering, but I was not expecting primary to blow through so fast, nor to be at this gravity already.
Thoughts from the lager guys?

I'm very new to lagers but am getting nice results. I do it all in the primary, ramp to 67F when 1-2 plato above anticipated FG. After 2-3 days I crash cool, add finings and keg. The beer can lager in the keg. I've kegged both lagers ( a Helles and a Vienna femented at 50F) at two weeks same with the hybrids (alt and kolsch both fermented in the 50's)

If you bottle the same is true, you can lager in the bottle once carbonation has completed should you desire and have the storage room.

Here is the fermentation profile from my first lager. More datils available here. The timings are just approximates put together in th eplanning stage. Actual time to keg was 2 weeks. No racking other than to the keg.
attachment.php

attachment.php

agree with no need for a secondary. My first choice would be to lager in a keg if possible. You could always then jump it to a serving keg with CO2 if you didnt want any yeast that settled to the bottom

Back