First kit brew fermenting, couple questions and comedy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
Well after a long day of brewing my batch of German Lager/Pilsner is in the bucket fermenting in my closet. After I sealed the top to the bucket, I was pushing the airlock in and POP! the rubber gasket fell into the Wort!

After my intial astonishment (and some choice words) I fished it out on the first try with my sterilized spoon. I ran some of my sanitizing water over the inside of the lid as part of sanitiation so should be good there I hope!

I used Saflager yeast which was included with the recipe. I know it is a bottom fermenting lager yeast that needs cool temps. After I placed the bucket in the closet, the thermometer stuck to the outside reads 64 degrees. Will fermentation start at that temp, and I am sure once it does start, that will be a nice temp for the yeast.

Last thing! My brewpot had some brown gunk on the bottom, I thought was burned, but I was able to rub it off with a finger. I suppose that is normal?

Sorry to throw the noob/paranoia questions at you again! :mug:

Pugilist said:
my batch of German Lager/Pilsner is in the bucket fermenting in my closet. the thermometer stuck to the outside reads 64 degrees., that will be a nice temp for the yeast.:mug:

as suggested above - read the link.
lagers should be fermented much lower

I was reading on that site (great site btw) about the anchor style lager. That sounds about what I should have gone for being in an apartment, but I used the Saflager yeast instead of the California yeast.

I wonder how the brew will turn out? It was a 5 gallon recipe with 2 quarts of pale malt, and a half quart of clear liquid adjunct. I used 1.5oz of Hallertau hops for the 60 minute boil, and added 1oz of Tettnanger and some Irish Moss during the last 15 minutes.

With this fermenting in the 60ish range, will the beer suck because of the type of yeast, or will it make a unique type of lager?

Fermenting in the Traditonal 'lager' Style for Superior Results
with Saflager S23 (Saccharomyces Carlbergensis)

If you would like to ferment your beer in the traditional 'lager style of brewing' then you can purchase Saflager S23 (Saccharomyces carlbergensis) yeast which is a premium strain for bottom fermenting all Lager and Pilsener styles of beer.

This yeast, which is of German origin and used by Western commercial breweries, develops the best of its fruity and estery lager flavours when fermented at low temperatures between 9C - 15C (ideally 12C). It is a reliable yeast at higher temperatures of between 15C-21C but at its best at lower temperatures.
the above is a copy and paste from a yeast web site
sounds like you will be ok 20c equals 68 degrees f.

Back