First Keggle complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Got the new Keggle finished up last night. :cool: Still need to install the dip tube, give it a nice PBW soak/scrub and then let it rest for 2wks. PBW soak will be done this weekend though and then I'll be planning a 10gal Barley Wine for the break-in brew with some buddies.

Cutting em all up:

Grinding them all down.. sirk0rebreg on here followed them all up with a file to finish them up. Turned out real nice. Definitely dull enough to no worry about cutting yourself.

Lid test fit (pre-grinding/filing):

First finished one. Bolt in the middle is from intially installing the thermometer to high:mad: Barely was in the water at the 6.5gal mark so i had to move it down in order to use it for 5gal batches. Dip tube is off to the right.

And a random pic
Apfelwein @ 2weeks. It's currently at 3 weeks and is starting to clear up. Can't wait for this one to finish up so I can bring some camping.

did you use a jig or freehand? how much time was each to cut and how many cutoff wheels did you use. i got my keg, my grinder, just haven't made my jig yet. nice job tho.

i did it freehand. we found out that if you use the middle ring of letters on the top of the keg, you get a pretty good hole, so we used those are our guide. the first we did kinda trace the lid, but once we saw where the line was, we used the lettering.

i used 2 cutoff wheels, but the first one was already 60% gone, easily. i'd say it would only take 1 new wheel to get 3 kegs done. it took me about 2 minutes for each keg, and a little longer for the cleanup.

thanks

thanks alot. i've been putting it off because i was going to make a jig, and also wanted another couple cutoff wheels on hand. but after looking at your handiwork, i think i'm just gonna get on it right after i get home from work. thanks for some inspiration. lou

glad i could help. best of luck with it. just take your time on the first one and the others you'll be able to fly through.

I searched for similar fittings at Lowe's to plug the thermometer hole that i drilled incorrectly, but i couldn't find anything.(which is why i used a ss bolt, a ss nut and some o-rings)

I ordered all my stuff from Williams Brewing since we don't have a LHBS.

nice! i finally acquired a keg and just need to cut her open. i'll probably have oak barrel do it for $60, as i am far too impatient and my friends with the equipment keep twiddling their thumbs.

just got my 3 back from the welder.. turned out nice.. except i didnt tell him to leave the threads in on the inside.. so now i cant use my pickups!

He is cool though, and is going to take care of it..

100 bucks for 3 plasma cuts and 9 welds.. plus he made me a lid and a stirrer!

ps.. nice job!

Kota said:
just got my 3 back from the welder.. turned out nice.. except i didnt tell him to leave the threads in on the inside.. so now i cant use my pickups!

He is cool though, and is going to take care of it..

100 bucks for 3 plasma cuts and 9 welds.. plus he made me a lid and a stirrer!

ps.. nice job!

sweet! :mug:

my ole lady'd have my a$$ if i spent 100 bills on brewery. i'd be sleeping out there so quick it'd make my head spin!

pretty sweet. welding would have been the preferred way, but i just wanted to do it all by myself and not have to worry about lugging them around and either paying someone or bugging a friend.

Back