First Kegging ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GR8DA

Reaction score
I cleaned and sanitized my corny's. I'm using a Midwest supplies dual draft system. I cannot find any leaks (soapy water on all fittings) and my kegs don't appear to be leaking either. When I set my pressure (force carb) to 30psi, I'm losin about 100 psi out of the tank per hour. Can I just load the kegs to my desired psi and unhook the co2 tank until I fugure out where my leak is? I think the issue is with the dual manifold but I don't want to disrupt the carbing process with my kegs. Will they be okay pressurising them and checking the every couple of hours so I don't lose my tank?

Yes it is O.K. to unhook your CO2.

I would like to point out that when you force carbonate keg some CO2 is desolved into a liquid (beer). So next time attached CO2 to the keg you will hear CO2 going into the keg. This will happen until beer is fully carbonated and pressure equalize.

I'm losin about 100 psi out of the tank per hour.

The CO2 tank is full of liquid CO2, so the tank pressure should stay the same until just about all of the liquid has evaporated and the tank is essentially empty.

Did you by any chance start with a warm CO2 tank and then put it into the refrigerator? I forget what the pressure drop from room temp to refrigerator temp is, but this could be your culprit.

Any chance the regulator is broken and giving you a false reading? That is really weird.

I did in fact start with a warm co2 tank. My pressure reading is @ 650psi. I started @ 1100 psi.

When I first had my tank filled (10lb) it was still very cold and sweating when I got it home. The gauge indicated about 750 PSI. After sitting overnight in a warm garage, it read around 1000 PSI, give or take. So the temp change would definitely change the reading on the tank gauge fairly significantly.

I did in fact start with a warm co2 tank. My pressure reading is @ 650psi. I started @ 1100 psi.

a warm tank will drop in pressure when it is chilled. This sounds like what it should do, there is nothing to be concerned about here.

at 90ish degrees, 1000-1100psi
at 38degrees , about 550psi

I bought 2 Pepsi used kegs filled them with water turned them upside down They leak from the lid Is it normal ?

Back