First keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shepbrew

Reaction score
I am going to be kegging my first batch tomorrow, plan to do the set and forget method, hoping to be able to wait the week or so to try but who knows. Have a bunch of bottles left from the last few batches to get through the wait but I'm sure it will be difficult.

I am going to be kegging my first batch tomorrow, plan to do the set and forget method, hoping to be able to wait the week or so to try but who knows. Have a bunch of bottles left from the last few batches to get through the wait but I'm sure it will be difficult.

my advice:
1. make sure you test for leaks.
2. fill keg with starsan, seal and push out with CO2. Then fill it with beer from fermenter without exposing to air (oxygen free transfer)
3. Cold-crashing prior to transfer and fining with gelatin or other agent helps achieving clear beer
4. Leaving a keg at higher CO2 pressure, about 30psi, for 24 hours, and then reducing it to serving pressure (say 12psi or so at ~38-40F) can get your beer carbed pretty well and ready to drink in just 2-3 days. It will be better in a week.

Thanks for the tips, ferm was done so I went ahead and kegged a day early, did all suggested except check for leaks, going to go do that right now! Really appreciate the pointers, knew I would forget an important step

Back