First IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ijp11

Reaction score
Grain Bill

10Lbs. Pale 2-Row US
8oz. Caravienne Malt

Hops
60 min .5 oz Galena
30 min .5 oz Comet
20 min. 1 oz Citra
20 min. .5 oz Centennial
7 min. .5 oz Summit
7 min. .5 oz Zues

5 min .8 oz sweet orange peel
5 min .8 oz lemon peel

Yeast

California Ale WLP001

Dry Hop
1.00 oz Summit for 3 days.

Thanks for any replies first IPA!!!

I find a bunch of mid boil additions slightly wasteful ad they kinda bridge the gap between flavor/aroma hops and bittering hops. In my IPA's I typically do a 60 min and whirlpool hops. So, if it were me I would add more Galena in at 60 and move all of those other tasty hops to sub-10 min additions. Not that theres anything wrong with how you have them now, I just prefer to get as much flavor out of the hops as possible.

I would also at least double, if not triple your dry hops. Dont be afraid to hop the crap out of it (its an IPA after all right?). When I spoke with a brewer at Karl Strauss he said that they like to use 1lb/BBl dry hops in their APA's and more for IPA's. So that works out to just over 2.5oz DH. So I try to use, bare minimum, 3oz for my IPA's.

Yeast and malt bill look good!

Good luck!

Edit: Also, stop making multiple threads for the same recipe in multiple sections of the forum. No need to clog up the forum with Maple Ales and IPA's posted all over the place. Just one will do, people will find it. Trust me

Just out of curosity, and dont take this the wrong way... Have you brewed an AG batch before? I saw your post about sparge and mash water just now and I would suggest doing some reading on AG and perhaps trying partial mash (if you havent already) and doing some premade AG recipes before diving into designing your own. Just my $.02

ive been stuck on BIAB for a couple years and wanting to move on to the next step,
Sorry about the mulptiple posts my bad. didnt mean to clutter anything

ive been stuck on BIAB for a couple years and wanting to move on to the next step,
Sorry about the mulptiple posts my bad. didnt mean to clutter anything

Ok well that makes sense. I just saw the single infusion mash post and thought... Wait, this guy is making his first AG AND first AG recipe?! I knew it would be a mistake because I made that mistake myself haha. But it sounds like you may actually know what you're doing :D

No worries on the multiple posts. Just didnt want you do get called out by a mod for it. ;)

In answer to your mash and sparge question... I use this website for help calculating water volumes. Brew365

Alright thanks for the help really appreciate it alot

Back