First homebrew tasting--- Off taste :( Please assist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball358

Reaction score
Ive just opened and tasted my first homebrew.... it was exciting of course and now that I am onto my 2nd one I cant help but be somewhat disappointed..The beer itself is fine but has a somewhat plastic-y finish to it...Is this should is a result of sediment in the beer which gives it a yeasty aftertaste? Or is it the fact that I use the Better-Bottles for fermentation? does the fact that the fermenter is plastic give the beer an unpleasant finish?:confused:

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks

aside from what others said, did you decant while pouring into a glass to avoid yeast consumption? I drank my first homebrew straight outta the bottle cause I didn't know any better. I still drink homebrew straight outta the bottle but now I do it cause I just don't know any better.

Better Bottles will not cause off flavors. Use with conficence..

it Fermented for about 2.5 weeks....the OG was 1.39 and the FG was 1.10...Also I only bottled it Monday afternoon so i guess I need to give it another 4 days or so?? Thanks for your help guys! :mug:

it Fermented for about 2.5 weeks....the OG was 1.39 and the FG was 1.10...Also I only bottled it Monday afternoon so i guess I need to give it another 4 days or so?? Thanks for your help guys! :mug:

4 days?????? Two weeks and 3 days MINIMUM.

Go read my blog....don't drink anymore before that time if you want to drink good beer. you will find that the best bottle of beer is always the LAST one in the batch becasue it conditions the longest....

This is a patience game kiddo...and we are rewarded by our patience by great beer...

In fact right now I am drinking an amazing and strong Belgian Dark Ale that took three months before it even carbed up (the original gravity was 1.090)....and even when it carbed it tasted like rocket fuel....I brewed it at Christmas time...and it is now finally drinkable..meaning it won't tear the skin off your espohagus and actually tastes great. :D

You aren't doing yourself any flavors :D by rushing to drink your beer...go build up your bottle and idea collestion by drinking some microbrews......and let your beer come into it's full potential

:mug:

I'm off to get another Belgian Strong....

4 days?????? Two weeks and 3 days MINIMUM

let me start by saying, Revvy, as usual, you are the man...always got the good advice and quick to respond...Ive put it back to let it age for another few weeks...the instructions it came with said 5-10 days for carbination (but as they were in so many other aspects, the set instructions were wrong)...Patience may be the name of the game but its not my best quality lol... ill try to be more patient

cheers :mug:

From Revvy's Blog about beer conditioning...

If you have been directed to this post then you probably started a "my beer is undercarbed" or "my tastes funny" thread and you indicated that you opened the beer after a few days or 2 weeks expecting your beer to be ready....

I LOL'd when I read that first paragraph:mug:

From Revvy's Blog about beer conditioning...

I LOL'd when I read that first paragraph:mug:

That is because we get at least 5-10 posts like this a day on here.

That is how my blogs usually develop, from having written, refined and added to the same answer a hundred times, and finally rather than just writing the same answer over and over, I make a good one and it becomes a blog....the others of mine are under my picture...click on the blog button to go there if you care.

Thanks again Revvy and all for your patience with the Noob-questions...Revvy Ive already gotten a head start on your other blogs

:mug:

Latest posts

Back