First Graff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmolledo

Reaction score
i want to make a graff. I've made 1 gallon cider experiments in the past but this will be 5 gallons. I have 4 gallons of apple juice and 3lb of DME that I will boil for 30 mins in 2 gallons of spring water. I don't want to add hops because I want it to be more apple forward. I will use 2 packs of safeale yeast. am I on the right track? or am I going to ruin some perfectly good juice?

I'd follow the recipe for my 1st batch, that way there's a baseline guide to start from. If you're counting your 1 gallon batch as a baseline, then by all means go ahead with your plan; experimentation is how the graf recipe came to be in the 1st place.

One thing, while it certainly won't hurt to pitch 2 sachets of yeast, you really only need one. If you're worried about underpitching, you can always make a starter a couple days in advance. If you want it to be "more apple forward," I'd add some (thawed) frozen apple juice concentrate post boil. It'll help to cool the wort & will basically turn the water in the boil into juice without the risk of setting pectins. Regards, GF.

I wouldn't boil the AJ, just the DME and water -- the AJ is pasteurized and sterile enough for our uses.

Also, one pack of yeast is fine. I always like to make a starter, even if it's just water and DME the night before, as a healthy pitch helps prevent less-desirable buggers from getting a start as well as ensures a healthy, vibrant fermentation.

Cheers.

I put it on keg. so far it is a little sweet, I only fermented for 2 weeks thinking that since it is part beer it would ferment faster. I have another batch of blueberry cyser that I have fermenting, I'm going to let that sit until it clears atleast. anywho, aside from sweet. It is malty and delicious. I think that if I would have bottled it and aged it for 1 year it would be wonderful.

Back