First Gallon of Home made Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runningweird

Reaction score
So I built an apple press a few weeks ago, I have since dismantled and rebuilt it to withstand greater forces and because the first version kind of sucked. Anyway, my family and I drank two of the gallons I got and I took one and added campden tablets, then pitched some champagne yeast into it to see how it did.

It was pretty full of gunk- lots of sediment but it cleared out beautifully in only about two weeks.

http://i.imgur.com/EfVkh.jpg
its a beautifully clean looking end result, I haven't tasted it yet. I think I am going to bottle half in a wine bottle and two twelve ounce pop tops and carbonate them just to see how they turn out around thanksgiving.

My wife just said she wants to pick more apples this week - :ban: - which means I am going to have to break out the fermenters and get some hard cider going.

would adding bentonite help me get even more end product from the lees or would it do best to just rack off now?
anyone have great recipes they make regularly?

Back