First Full Boil and a Question about a Foreign Object in the Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krane

Reaction score
So I just finished my first full boil (robust porter) minus the cleaning. I love how much faster the turkey fryer (bayou 3066a) works than my kitchen stove. Luckily I was vigilant with the regulator and only had a tiny boil over. Also used my homemade wort chiller for the first time. Got it down below 70f in 18 minutes. I'm super excited to see how this batch turns out since it's my first full boil. Unfortunately, I might have had too much fun and made my first definitive error.

So I use a funnel and prop a 3 inch piece of vinyl tubing between the funnel and neck of the carboy when I'm transferring into the primary, allowing it to displace some air and drain faster. After all the wort was in the primary, I grabbed the funnel without thinking (had several of my previous batch in the process) and the piece of tubing dropped into the primary. Rather than attempt to retrieve it, I figured leaving it in the primary is the right thing to do. Is there any reason I should try to get it out?

Rather than let you guys tell me what I know is probably coming, I'm going to let you know what I plan to do instead of fretting over this... RDWHAHB. :mug:

as long as its sanitized, id leave it in there. if it wasnt sanitized, not much you can do now anyways. maybe your krausen will push it out

As long as it was sanitized it ought to be fine, and even if it wasn't your yeat might take quickly and create enough alcohol to keep any nasties at bay.

That's what I figured. Fermentation did start really quickly. Within ten hours I had about 1/4" of krausen the next morning and by the time I got home from work it was about 1.5". Everything seems to be going well so far...thanks for the quick responses.

Bottled it last week. A porter and apfelwein in one night, and I'm starting to get why people don't like bottling (exactly 100 bottles in one night).

I had forgotten about the piece of tubing in the primary and found it as I was cleaning the carboy. Had a nice brownish hue to it but the beer tastes great so far. Once it's carbed and ready to drink I'm sure it will be delicious.

Back