First fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck33

Reaction score
I'm planing on making half of my cream of 3 crop ale into a strawberry cream ale, I read on another thread to add the fruit a week after you brew and then rack it off a week later, would adding it late and leaving it in longer than a week make a difference?

I would think that the longer, the better (may be wrong). I always let the primary fermentation subside. As soon as it goes into the secondary I throw the fruit/nuts/dry hop (whatever I am adding). You don't want to put in while vigorous fermentation is going, all the goodies will go right out of the blow off tube.

Second note, I puree fruits and put them in the freezer (breaks cell walls down for better flavor extraction) then sauté them to sterilize the day I drop them in the secondaries.

If you leave the fruit in there too long, you run the risk of mold growing on the top. I had this happen with some raspberries. I would not leave it on the fruit for more than 1 week.

Back