First Fruit and 1 question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KilhavenBrew

Reaction score
I brewed my first beer to add fruit to it.

After primary fermentation went for 14 days on Wyeast 1010 American Wheat, I transferred the beer and then added 4 lbs of Blackberries. They were frozen and I did not boil them. I assumed they must have been pasteurized before they froze them and bagged them at the store.

The OG was 1.059 the final being 1.010 which meant the fermentation already finished.

Now after adding only 4 lbs of blackberries, I notice the airlock going crazy again. I think fermentation kicked up pretty well for the last 24 hours and still going.

Did I contaminate the beer and ruin it? Cause Blackberries only have 7 grams of sugar per cup and there seems to be more co2 being created than that.

Thanks for the help if you have tried a fruit beer like this before.

yep, you likely roused the yeast and the fermented the sugars left in the wort or they found a ew sugars form the fruit to munch on. My experience has shown little change in gravity when this happens. I always assumed it was a wash as the exta sugar was added the yeast got it downt to roughly the same gravity that came out of the primary.

GOOD luck.

I have a cookbook that states blackberries are generally around 8% sugar by weight (fresh). Freezing shouldn't change matters much, I wouldn't think. So if you added 4lbs, that's roughly 1/3lb sugar. That's enough to restart some fermentation. Every time I've added fruit to a mead, it's started up again just like new. There's no need to worry.

It is like having kids. Once someone tells you everything is going to be ok, the weight lifts and you can feel better.

I am no longer worried about my new beer.

Back