First First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curvin

Reaction score
Ok. I hope I'm just being overly worried about my first batch here. I brewed a Kolsch kit and am now in the second week of the fermenter. I just took my initial gravity reading of the three days to see when I can start bottling. I'm right at .017. The kit says I should be right around .020. So all is good there.
My concern is that as I'm taking my reading. The brew is still very cloudy to the point I can not read the hydrometer markings below the surface. Is this normal? Have I manage to somehow mess this first one up? Or am I giving myself more grey hair for no reason and just need to relax?

Cheers!

let it sit another week to finish up the yeast process (cleaning up the beer) and then to bottling after your gravity reading stays constant for a few days. Cloudy would tell me that it is still cleaning up its own mess.

Also if you have room in a spare fridge someplace cold crashing helps a ton. Let the yeasties finish cleaning up first though.

Back