first Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ery2

Reaction score
Hi,
this is my first time . (in my country we can not buy alcoholic drinks and we do not have any other yeast than bread yeast.)
i made a batch with bread yeast and a lot of sugar (almost 900 gram) + 9 liter of non alcoholic beer .
after one week all sugar is gone . the taste is bad ! looks like fuel alcohol. i hope the taste gets better by one or 2 weeks . (as some ppl mentioned in this forum)
i think i have around 10% alcohol .

my question is : at the end for bottling can i add water or sparkling water or non alcoholic beer to decrease alcohol percentage and for taste improvement ? because i dont think i can drink it like this :(

900 grams of sugar into about 9 liters up to a total volume of around 9.5 liters will give you around 5% ABV. I can't comment on the flavour, sorry. I haven't tried this and actually have very little intention of doing so.

Hi,
this is my first time . (in my country we can not buy alcoholic drinks and we do not have any other yeast than bread yeast.)
i made a batch with bread yeast and a lot of sugar (almost 900 gram) + 9 liter of non alcoholic beer .
after one week all sugar is gone . the taste is bad ! looks like fuel alcohol. i hope the taste gets better by one or 2 weeks . (as some ppl mentioned in this forum)
i think i have around 10% alcohol .

my question is : at the end for bottling can i add water or sparkling water or non alcoholic beer to decrease alcohol percentage and for taste improvement ? because i dont think i can drink it like this :(
Hello, You made a sugar wash, it'll hardly have any flavour. Also you didn't add any fruit or spices so sure you'll get something that will get you a buzz but won't taste and smell good. To improve your batch, add boiled water to cover some crushed dates, figs & raisins (200-400 gm) in a clean utensil. You can cool it and then add to your sugar wine. Let ferment for 2-3 weeks. After than you can filter and rack it to clean sanitised bottles, leaving sediments behind.
I suggest you make fruit juice based drinks first. They're also known as prison hooch. You can search on Internet but basically add some sugar to fruit juice of choice like apple or grapes and spices (optional) and ferment it. They'll give you an idea and experience. You can then gradually move to grain based beers. Typically, these kind of drinks should be fermented and left for 3 weeks, though fermentation is over soon, depending on temperature of fermentation, there is a lot of cleanup happening (by yeast & of yeast). Maintain temperature stability and don't ferment too hot (more than 26c). Internet is full of tutorials, make multiple small batches of 1 litre size, you'll get better with time.

Bread yeast typically as a low alcohol tolerance. Usually it will die off in alcohol of less than 3%. The other problem is that your brew will taste very yeasty.

Why not rather make something from a natural root or fruit? You can make ginger beer or pineapple beer, it is simple and it tastes 100 times better than what you are doing.

to make Ginger beer. buy some fresh ginger. about 60 grams should be enough.
boil 2 cups of water, let it cool to room temp. Cut one of the ginger roots into slices.. do not remove the skin as that contains most of the yeast. poor the cooled water into a jar and put the ginger in it. add 2 table spoons of white or brown sugar. put some foil over and place it in your kitchen, away from sunlight. 24 hours later, add 2 more table spoons of sugar and stir well. now let it stand for 4 days with top covered in foil.

After 4 days, you will see that bubbles have formed in the jar. Now take the other root you have, cut into pieces and put into a 1 gallong (5 litre) pot. add 2 cups of sugar and fill up with water. bring to a simmer. now strain out the ginger parts and add 2 table spoons of the yeast you made in the jar into the container and stir well. let it stand 2 for 2 days covered only with foil. If you can get your hands on some raisins, then add about 10 to the container. After 2 days, bottle the brew and seal them off into glass bottles, or old soda bottles. If using soda bottles, do not fill to the top, only fill 3/4 so that they CO2 can expand. Let it stand for 2 more days at room temp, then move to the fridge for a day and then enjoy.

Pineapple beer can be made similarly, you would just need to add more pineapple to give it a good flavour.

PS!! the rest of your ginger yeast jar can be placed in the fridge, then just feed it 1 teaspoon of sugar every week, this way you do not need to make a new yeast batch each time

i used non alcoholic beer . it had a strong flavor of malt .
Oh, I thought you made a sugar wash only. So you're re-fermenting non-alcoholic beer with 2 pounds of sugar added to it. Sure it'll ferment - same principle as re-pitching the yeast. Since I've never done such a thing, making a guess, no harm in let it sit for couple of weeks and see if the taste improves.

Back