First ferment with new FermZilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
Using my fermzilla for the first time, have been using buckets for years.
This is an old speckled hen clone recipe, danstar nottingham yeast. It's quite vigorous. Perhaps that's always how it looks below the surface, can't tell with buckets, but it sure is active.
ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

Using my fermzilla for the first time, have been using buckets for years.
This is an old speckled hen clone recipe, danstar nottingham yeast. It's quite vigorous. Perhaps that's always how it looks below the surface, can't tell with buckets, but it sure is active.
View attachment 714307
Exactly what it will look like. I personally love clear fermenters for this reason. It’s better than watching a fire lol

Love love love my Fermzilla… until it blew up. Had my spunding valve set to 20 PSI, wife and I are watching the Little League World Series and boom! All over my “brewery” basement. I contacted them 2 weeks ago, and have heard NOTHING! I did go buy another one though. I have a Lemonade Saison in there right now. I still love the it. The transfer to kegs is amazingly easy and the beer is already mostly carbed.

Attachments

• EC107BDD-17C2-4F0E-BF7D-5212B91C6CDB.jpeg
    EC107BDD-17C2-4F0E-BF7D-5212B91C6CDB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
I have a fermzilla and an all rounder. the fermzilla can be tricky in regards to cleaning, lubing the o rings, and not over tightening.

im on a second set of spare parts. I’ve decided no more spare parts. I’ll buy something stainless next.

I do think support is spotty, and some spare parts simply cannot be attained.

I have a fermzilla and an all rounder. the fermzilla can be tricky in regards to cleaning, lubing the o rings, and not over tightening.

im on a second set of spare parts. I’ve decided no more spare parts. I’ll buy something stainless next.

I do think support is spotty, and some spare parts simply cannot be attained.

After being quite excited, I’ve been less than impressed with my all rounder. It’s a bigger pain to use than I thought it would be, and I’ve somehow stripped the threads on the top cap fittings. Closed pressure transfers are great for oxygen sensitive beers and I like spunding for the krausen control. But I agree; seems my next pressure fermentor needs to be stainless.

Dan

Looking at getting a Fermzilla. So newbie here....When I transfer it in to the fermzilla, I just hook up my Co2 tank and pressurize it? Do I disconnect the Co2 canister then? Will this in theory speed up the fermentation process as well? Thanks for the help in advance!

Looking at getting a Fermzilla. So newbie here....When I transfer it in to the fermzilla, I just hook up my Co2 tank and pressurize it? Do I disconnect the Co2 canister then? Will this in theory speed up the fermentation process as well? Thanks for the help in advance!
Hook up Co2 with very low pressure.... 2-4 psi, don't need much. common law of physics is that the gas will displace the liquid (Wort) until gone. Putting wort into fermenter will not require a closed transfer, but going from fermenter to keg I do closed transfer. Fill keg with starsan, then purge it out using Co2. When empty you'll have an O2 free, sanitized keg ready for beer. then repeat closed transfer of beer into empty keg by displacing Co2 gas with delicious beer.... :yes:

Love love love my Fermzilla… until it blew up. Had my spunding valve set to 20 PSI, wife and I are watching the Little League World Series and boom! All over my “brewery” basement. I contacted them 2 weeks ago, and have heard NOTHING! I did go buy another one though. I have a Lemonade Saison in there right now. I still love the it. The transfer to kegs is amazingly easy and the beer is already mostly carbed.
Update, KegLand sent me a new one free of charge. Do not let the pressure go over 25PSI!! I now have 2 of them and yes, they are both full right now. One has my Hazy IPA and one has an experiment, a lemon blueberry sour.

I've had mine for quite awhile now. I'm thinking at some point the plastic will split and I'll have a mess. I love this fermenter. I would love it if I could find a SS one that worked like this one.

Back