First extract batch this weekend after a heavy year of all-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echoloc8

Acolyte of Fermentalism
Reaction score
Like the subject says. I've got a sad, empty keg and little time to fill it, so I'm doing a 15-minute pale (a la this recipe) on Saturday.

It's actually been a long time since I've used extract, other than for fortifying an AG beer that my mash tun was too small to handle in its entirety. So I figured now was a good time to brush up on my extract technique, given that it's been so long.

I've reread Corkster's 10 tips thread, and feel like I'm in pretty good shape.

Here are the things I'm keeping in mind:
  • I'll be steeping some crystal 60 on the way to boil, and pulling at 170 *F.
    :eek:nestar: Actually, this is a good question. I can get 6 gallons from room temp to sparge temps in 20 min with my stove-and-heatstick setup; is this too little time to steep?

• This is a 15-minute batch, which means the only addition will be a so-called late-boil addition, so there ought not be any darkening/caramelization issues. The wort will only be boiling for 15 minutes anyway, thus the name.
  • I'm using all DME, because I've had bad luck with the freshness of liquid extract in the past. I'll be using a whisk to mix it in.
  • Yep, full-volume boil. It's very nice to have AG equipment available.
  • Using my immersion chiller to get temp down.
  • US-05 for the yeast. I'll rehydrate it while chilling.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making it as successful as possible?

-Rich

Rich, i set my timer for 30min. Put about 2gal of water in the pot and put my stove on high. Them put the steeping grains in and start the timer. If i hit the 170 mark before the timer runs out i shut down the stove and leave it for the full 30min. Steeping grains are a spec grain. your extract is your base malt.

For DME i always mix it in a pitcher of hot/warm water then add it. Prevents "mostly" the steam from clumping the bag up. Thats up to you there.
Also i would only add 1/4 of the extract first and the rest at flame out. This is what we call a "late addition" technique.

Back