First experience with Notty, oddly formed cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherFreeman

Reaction score
I brewed a English Mild a week+ ago and just bottled it last night. I pitched to a starter and split it across my 10 gallon batch. No major issues with fermentation other than a clogged airlock on one. WHen i racked to my bottling bucket last night, in both cases, the cake on the bottom was pretty bizaarre. It was like there were mini volcano looking things all over the bottom. Rounded portions about the size of a penzil eraser with holes in the middle of the circles. Kind of like looking at cells in a microscope maybe? No off smells were coming from the trub and the beer tasted just fine. Nothing growning on the top either. I had an epic fail and didnt take photos, so my apologies there. Should i be worried?

No worries, but in the future don't make a starter with dry yeast, Just use a pack in each batch. I'll spare you the details, it has been discussed to death. Your beer should be fine.

thers is nothing wrong with the cake. Some of the CO2 gets trapped and/or continues to be produced after yeast flocculates and forms to yeast cake on the bottom of your fermenter, CO2 escapes and creates miniature volcanos

Back