First Equipment Kit - Any Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkey50187

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for an equipment kit? I am looking to spend around $200 and this would not include a burner or a pot. I want to try to make my first initial investment in brewing to contain what is necessary. I am planning on extract brews to start with and then move toward specialty grain additions. Eventually I would like to invest in an all grain system. At this point, all grain will be a while off in the future.

I am aware that I can ferment in 6.5 gallon buckets, but should I make the initial investment to include a glass carboy.

Would it be suggested to have my primary as a 6.5 gallon glass carboy? Have there been positive results with the plastic better bottle carboys? Do I even need a secondary? It is my understanding that the secondary is primarily to clear the yeast out of the beer more effetely.

I think that at this point I would just like to get some feed back because I have been reading too much and actually doing too little. This may need to be move to the equipment forum, but I thought this may be of interest to other beginners.

I would just start out with a basic kit from any of the vendors or your LHBS. Get one with and auto-siphon. You should be able to find one within your price range and it might even include your first extract ingredient kit. Don't worry about the secondary to start out, or the glass carboy. You can get those things as you continue with the hobby.

I think ale pales are better,since you have a wider openning to get things in & out. Not to mention easier to clean. & they don't break & cause serious injury if dropped. Midwest has a brew kit for $65. You can also add things to it,like xchillers,brew pots,beer kits,etc. Check that out,it's a pretty good deal. There was also a groupon deal on that one too.

I appreciate the input. Would you suggest a bottling bucket, or just use a bottling hose and racking cane.

Midwests' brewing basics kit comes with a bottling bucket,& a fermenting bucket. The bottling bucket is def the way to go. It also comes with a racking cane,bottling wand,& bottle brush among other things. You can bulk prime in the bottling bucket,attach the bottling wand,& bottle away.

For $177,they have the brewing kit with everything! It includes a beer kit,2 cases of bottles,& a SS brew kettle. Even includes a 5G carboy for secondary. You may just want to go ahead & get that one,since it's everything all ready to go...:ban:

For $177,they have the brewing kit with everything! It includes a beer kit,2 cases of bottles,& a SS brew kettle. Even includes a 5G carboy for secondary. You may just want to go ahead & get that one,since it's everything all ready to go...:ban:

I wish I lived near Minneapolis for this one. I may still go with this package with shipping it will be a little over my budget, but I won't have to search all over STL to find my equipment.

Just another opinion, but if it were me I would go for the cheaper $65 basic kit and then spend the over 100$ left on other things like kettle and more buckets (or better bottle if you want to go that way). In my mind the glass carboy is a waste of money and not worth the risk, and the bottles you can get for free. This way you can research what kind of kettle you want - just something cheap to use for now or go straight for a bigger one rather than having to upgrade later when you want to step up to full boils.

You also might see if there is a LHBS with a similar kit. Saves shipping and it can be nice to establish a relationship with someone local.

Midwest always has a groupon for their basic kit including an ingredient kit and a $25 gift certificate for $64 plus $12 shipping...nobody can beat that deal for a basic kit...unless you have patience to wait for a deal on Craigslist which you can find if you are not in a hurry

Walmart currently has a burner with 30 qt pot for $34 in clearance

That leaves you $100 ...left in the budget...things I would do if I were in your shoes with the rest of your budget...build a wort chiller, consider kegging...make a mash tun for all grain

Great to see another Missourian!

I live in STL and just got my kit as well. I went with midwest homebrew and got this
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit.html
It has almost everything. You can add their 5 gallon brew pot for 30 and with shipping you are out the door in 160.

The only problem I have with the kit is it only has 5 gallon carboy. You can still use it for secondary.

Just bought a starter kit for $160 on friday and did my first batch yesterday. Kit came with a bucket, a glass carboy and the normal accessories. Bought a turkey dryer with a 30qt pot and didn't have a problem. I wish I had gotten a second bucket instead of the carboy. I know ill be happy I have it later but a second bucket for sterilizing would have been helpful.

mjmac85 said:
Just bought a starter kit for $160 on friday and did my first batch yesterday. Kit came with a bucket, a glass carboy and the normal accessories. Bought a turkey dryer with a 30qt pot and didn't have a problem. I wish I had gotten a second bucket instead of the carboy. I know ill be happy I have it later but a second bucket for sterilizing would have been helpful.

If you just want a bucket for sterilizing in, a $5 home depot bucket will work well.

Welderbydaybrewerbynight said:
+1 for extra cheap buckets, great for storing grain, soaking equipment and bottle delabeling.

I didn't even think about using it for delabeling. I have been using he sink and hot water. Getting a little flack for letting them soak.

Bought a tub from Cosco for soaking. It was meant for storing kids toys. Pack of 2 flexible rubbery tubs. One is being used to hold my fermentor with some ice bottles to keep it cool. The other is soaking my new bottles. That reminds me I need to finish getting the glue off of those tonight and drink a few more in the process.:drunk:

I bought my first kit. It included a 6.5 gallon bucket, a bottling bucket, in the glass carboy. I would suggest to anyone buying a kit to open your kit before bringing it home. Mine had a broken auto siphon.

I will call them tomorrow and hopefully get it replaced. Luckily it is a local shop. Only five minutes from my house.

If your just looking for 5 gal or 3 gal buckets try a local bakery, they use them for icing. Just got a couple from the Wal Mart bakery for free.

Latest posts

Back