First eBrew today - burnt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReuFroman

Reaction score
So went through very quickly and was awesome. I can't believe how short heating time is. Hence the issue.

Burnt the wert in the bk. burnt like toast, cheap late night pizzas, and a day at the pool. What are most people setting the power to on their pid? I have aub pids running 5500 uld wave elements. I calibrated this morning so temp variance isn't an issue.

Other ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Don't feel bad........ I know a few cooks that can "burn" water...... ;-)

Are you using the auto or manual mode on your PID? From what I've read, it seems a lot of people set the PID to 40-60% on manual mode for the boil...

Another thought, perhaps the wort was too stagnant while you heated to a boil, and "burnt" the wort that was sitting right next to the element...

Did you pour extract into the pot and it sat on the element?

That sounds the most likely to me. I've never had burnt wort problems even when I have forgotten to turn the duty cycle down and left it on 100% for 30 minutes (mega boil!), but I do all grain so I'm not sure how the elements would handle syrup.

Another idea: Maybe there was a coating on the element that burned off in the first batch. Did you do a batch of just water to test the element before doing a batch of wort? My first batch of water smelled like an overheated stove element. Second batch of water was just fine. Something from the production process must have still been on my elements but it burned off pretty quickly.

You used the word "elements" (plural). Do you have more than one 5500w element in your BK? How big is your BK?

Just did a batch yesterday - 5500W Wave element, SSVR not a PID. I use my ammeter to gauge how much power I'm putting into the BK - it's not bling :). I usually start out with 23 amps full/tilt/boogie and when it starts to boil, I'll turn it down to 14 amps or so. I've never had even the slightest hint of scorching in my BK. Dump the PID on the BK for a SSVR - you wont be unhappy about it..

Used Fermcap for the first time yesterday... Wow..

Yeah, the problem was I kept it on 100% and spent 40 minutes burning my all-grain batch.

I took the time to rework with water and tried the boil again. It seems I should do some research before going willy-nilly. 100% is for getting the bk up to temp then turn it back to 75% for keeping temp up.

Yeah, the problem was I kept it on 100% and spent 40 minutes burning my all-grain batch.

I've had mine at 100% the entire time, due to my own inability to remember to turn the PID to "manual"- but it never burned. Oh, it was a rocking boil with a 3 gallon per hour boil off(!) but it never burned.

I assume the boil would circulate the wort well. I can't imagine how it would have scorched, although I believe you that it did!

In a 5 gallon batch seemed to happen after about 25 minutes. I had it on auto. So that didn't help.

No worries my brewing friend.... We've all made mistakes when working with new equipment. I threw 11 gallons of hefe out early this spring because I wasnt used to a 2KW element in the RIMS tube... Scorching happens, make some notes and brew on!

Latest posts

Back