Do you 'Top Off' Cyser after Primary Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mekpdue

Reaction score
I'll be starting a batch of 1 gallon Cyser this weekend, and it will be my first. Question is: After the primary fermentation (I'm reading a couple of weeks), I'll rack it to another 1 gallon carboy. Since we are leaving headroom in the primary for fermentation foam, when I rack to the secondary/aging what do I do with the headspace? Do I add apples to make up the volume, in order to minimize O2? Do I top off to the neck of the carboy? If so, what do I top it off with?

Second question: I'm planning on putting the Cyser in 750ml wine bottles and corking versus 22oz beer bottles and capping. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Or get some glass marbles, sanitize them and drop into your gallon jug after racking to take away the head space.

I do 1 gallon batches and always start with 1 G plus 1qt. At 1st racking, I save the extra (anywhere from 1 pint-1 qt) in the frig., and use that for topoffs on future rackings.
@JimRausch , I primarily use 1 gallon glass carboys. Do you start yours in 2 gallon buckets to make sure you have the headspace for the extra until it gets racked? I ask because I'm trying to bulk age what I've made, but, there's more headspace than I'm comfortable with in a few of them .
Thanks, in advance, if you can answer.

Attachments

• 20210416_212645.jpg
    20210416_212645.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 10
Thanks all. After thinking on these suggestions and researching a bit more, I’ve decided on using my infrequently used 3 gallon carboy. I’ll make a 2.25-2.5 gallon batch in the carboy. With fermentation the extra headspace should be fine. Once primary fermented, I’ll rack off to 1 gallon jugs for secondary/aging, with a little extra for top offs later, if needed. Thanks @JimRausch

Nice looking inventory, @Dan O

@JimRausch , I primarily use 1 gallon glass carboys. Do you start yours in 2 gallon buckets to make sure you have the headspace for the extra until it gets racked? I ask because I'm trying to bulk age what I've made, but, there's more headspace than I'm comfortable with in a few of them .
Thanks, in advance, if you can answer.

This is one of the best investments I've made in brewing equipment.

Little Big Mouth Bubbler®

1636207002997.png

This is one of the best investments I've made in brewing equipment.

Little Big Mouth Bubbler®

View attachment 748029
@Maylar , I've seen these & was curious, glass or plastic? Doesn't say on the website (or @ least my foggy brains didn't see it).
Also, how do you feel about the quality of the lids? I saw a few reviews that they felt cheap or flimsy. I have (2)- three gallon FERMONSTERS which I love, but, not always needing a 3 gallon batch.
Thanks, in advance, if you have time to reply.

Attachments

• Resized_20210101_202213_840.jpeg
    Resized_20210101_202213_840.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
@Maylar , I've seen these & was curious, glass or plastic? Doesn't say on the website (or @ least my foggy brains didn't see it).
Also, how do you feel about the quality of the lids? I saw a few reviews that they felt cheap or flimsy. I have (2)- three gallon FERMONSTERS which I love, but, not always needing a 3 gallon batch.
Thanks, in advance, if you have time to reply.
It's glass. The lid is fine, the gaskets wear but they're cheap to replace. It's perfect for a JAOM since you can get the oranges in there easily and make enough to rack to a gallon jug.

2020 JAOM.JPG

Also, how do you feel about the quality of the lids? I saw a few reviews that they felt cheap or flimsy.

I can appreciate that concern. I have a 6 gallon Big Mouth that I use for my cider. It's glass and friggin' heavy. The stopper is rubber and fits inside the neck of the carboy. I have to tape it closed else CO2 pressure will pop it out.

45221188555_d66c0b7f3c_b.jpg

I've been using the Little Big Mouth Bubbler and love it. Very sturdy and easy to get fruit in/out. I don't recommend using the black airlock thing it comes with and using your own bubbler instead.

I've been using the Little Big Mouth Bubbler and love it. Very sturdy and easy to get fruit in/out. I don't recommend using the black airlock thing it comes with and using your own bubbler instead.
Awesome. Thanks for the input. I'll be ordering a couple this week. (Provided they're still in stock)

Back