First Crush / Irish Stout Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdbc2011

Reaction score
My wife gave me a monster mill 3 and I used it for the first time this morning on a Dry Irish Stout. Below are pictures of the crush. The gap was set at .032. I also conditioned with 3 oz of water. Efficiency was 80%.

berw day irish stout 001.jpg

berw day irish stout 002.jpg

berw day irish stout 003.jpg

Looks pretty close to my Sweet Stout crush that I will be bottling this weekend. I get about the same efficiency too. I don't think I use as much water to condition my grain though. I may try upping my conditioning water a little to see if I can crush a little finer and bump my efficiency a little more (trying to hit 85%).

Looks pretty close to my Sweet Stout crush that I will be bottling this weekend. I get about the same efficiency too. I don't think I use as much water to condition my grain though. I may try upping my conditioning water a little to see if I can crush a little finer and bump my efficiency a little more (trying to hit 85%).

Using 3 oz of water for the 10.75 lbs of grain, the grain did not feel wet or stick to the bucket or mill. I may try a .030 gap next time.

Using 3 oz of water for the 10.75 lbs of grain, the grain did not feel wet or stick to the bucket or mill. I may try a .030 gap next time.

I probably used about 2oz for 12lbs of grain... I wet it and let it sit for 30-60 minutes while I prep everything else for my mash. In general, it feels cooler than air temp but not 'wet'. So if I bump it about an ounce I should be fine. I want to be able to pulp the grain and leave my husks the same size they are (I don't have a stuck sparge issue) and my grain bed drains really nicely.

Back