First Conan Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsiNyde

Reaction score
I bought some GY054 (Conan) a few weeks ago. I used (6) 1 fl oz vials, and split the yeast up. Taking one of those vials, I stepped it up once with 1qt of 1.040 and 1/4 tsp nutrient.

This is what I got after 24 hours on the stir plate. There was evidence of krausen on the inside of the foil.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395693443.075360.jpg

Made the base for "Mango Fandango", an all grain near-clone of Mango Magnifico. All adjuncts go in secondary, so it's just straight beer when I aerate and pitch, leaving roughly 20% head space (see below pics- wort came almost up to lowest rib on bucket). OG was 1.081.

This morning, after twelve hours at 62° ambient temp in the house, I find this.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395693710.532209.jpg

With no way to MacGyver that **** to a hose, and no time left to rack to carboy, I am left with only one solution: remove airlock, loosen lid half way to prevent any Conan guysers, and leave it be until tonight when I can fix something up.

My wife returns home at lunch time, and sends me this text with photo attached, "what do I do?"
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395693813.325488.jpg

I'm seriously laughing at this point - loudly. I share with a few buddies, we all chuckle. I tell her to quickly sanitize a bowl and scoop krausen out (a loss of yeast I was willing to take at this point), replace lid.

Wife sends another text about 30 minutes ago with photo attached, "I'm about to put this outside. I'm getting sick of cleaning up beer mess today."
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395694042.000426.jpg

We live in NH, so I don't want that outside, it'll freeze. I ask her to reconsider, and she replies immediately with what I can only describe as something a loving wife who tolerates her husband's hobby could have done: a smiley face with another photo attached.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395694225.613304.jpg

It's been almost 24 hours since I pitched it, and that yeast has been going to TOWN! She used sanitized equipment and scooped out krausen after the first blowoff, which has me somewhat amazed at how it managed to blowoff again just a few hours later. This is my first batch with Conan, so I didn't know what to expect.

Homebrew problems.

Anybody else had this happen with Conan before? Aside from a) bigger fermenter, or b) split batch after pitch to allow for 40-50% head space, anybody got any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I bought some GY054 (Conan) a few weeks ago. I used (6) 1 fl oz vials, and split the yeast up. Taking one of those vials, I stepped it up once with 1qt of 1.040 and 1/4 tsp nutrient.

This is what I got after 24 hours on the stir plate. There was evidence of krausen on the inside of the foil.
View attachment 188217

Made the base for "Mango Fandango", an all grain near-clone of Mango Magnifico. All adjuncts go in secondary, so it's just straight beer when I aerate and pitch, leaving roughly 20% head space (see below pics- wort came almost up to lowest rib on bucket). OG was 1.081.

This morning, after twelve hours at 62° ambient temp in the house, I find this.
View attachment 188219

With no way to MacGyver that **** to a hose, and no time left to rack to carboy, I am left with only one solution: remove airlock, loosen lid half way to prevent any Conan guysers, and leave it be until tonight when I can fix something up.

My wife returns home at lunch time, and sends me this text with photo attached, "what do I do?"
View attachment 188221

I'm seriously laughing at this point - loudly. I share with a few buddies, we all chuckle. I tell her to quickly sanitize a bowl and scoop krausen out (a loss of yeast I was willing to take at this point), replace lid.

Wife sends another text about 30 minutes ago with photo attached, "I'm about to put this outside. I'm getting sick of cleaning up beer mess today."
View attachment 188224

We live in NH, so I don't want that outside, it'll freeze. I ask her to reconsider, and she replies immediately with what I can only describe as something a loving wife who tolerates her husband's hobby could have done: a smiley face with another photo attached.
View attachment 188226

It's been almost 24 hours since I pitched it, and that yeast has been going to TOWN! She used sanitized equipment and scooped out krausen after the first blowoff, which has me somewhat amazed at how it managed to blowoff again just a few hours later. This is my first batch with Conan, so I didn't know what to expect.

Homebrew problems.

Anybody else had this happen with Conan before? Aside from a) bigger fermenter, or b) split batch after pitch to allow for 40-50% head space, anybody got any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

you say you were at 62 ambient but what temp was the wort when you pitched? if you were close to 62 than I guess conan is well... a barbarian. Next time prepare a blowoff with boiled distilled water in place of sanitizer and collect that stuff to use again. it's mostly yeast especially after your wife (keeper by the way) scooped the first batch of brown and ugly off. that second batch of krausen was pure yeasty gold.

I stopped the chiller at 70° and let it sit (uncovered) out in the cold NH air (35°) for a good 10-15 minutes to aerate, etc. before I pitched, then moved inside to ambient 62°. It probably registered somewhere around 65° internally when I pitched. Conan is known to do very well at 62°, I just didn't realize HOW well.

Considering that I still have about 10 vials in the fridge, plus another big gold pack, I'm not too worried about saving the krausen blowoff. I will, however, consider using a carboy with a tube and bucket next time!!

And yes, my wife is the best. She tolerates me. :)

Update: after the wife scooped the krausen three times, this is what it looks like.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395702018.165333.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

With that kind of activity, your beer fermented way above 62F. If you had a way to hold the beer temp down it might have been a little more tame. 1.080 is a pretty high gravity, those yeast were really excited to eat this meal. You got some great pics!

@Eugenio, you can buy Conan from theyeastbay.com. Their Vermont Ale is Conan.

@masons, in retrospect I believe the best coarse of action is to put that bad boy in the cellar where the ambient temp is ~50°. That way, when they yeasties go to town, temp should stabilize around 60-64. I don't use a carboy jacket or anything like that. Might be time in to invest in one.

@eugenio, I bought it from Salt City Brew Supply in UT, at the suggestion of GigaYeast. As for YeastBay and YeastGeek, bad timing. Every time I tried to order, they were out. I did harvest about 4 vials from some Heady as well via stir plate.

FYI, the brew finally calmed down and is bubbling along....surely.

Sweet I'll place an order. I have a harvested sample of Conan but to be honest don't trust it as my sanitation at the time was...questionable. I'd rather order a sample, slant it and make sure it's the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back