First Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Going to make my first cider tomorrow.

I have a homemade Press, homemade scratter machine and appx. 3 bushels of apples.

I picked up two packets of yeast today. (1) Safale s-04 yeast and the other is a Red Star Pasteur champange yeast.

I'm planning on fermenting in (2) 5 gallon glass carboys.

Considering splitting each carboy out into 1 gallon glass jugs to experiment with. Unsure of my steps from here.

Overall, would like some in put from the board and direction to make this first time process a smooth and successful one.

Thank you... Cheers

Pictures to come.

I used the Red Star two years ago and am trying SA-04 this year. The one gal. test batch never worked for me. With 5 gal. I can pass it around and get lots of opinions. I'd only use one gal. if trying something that might not work or be horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Seems like you enjoy preping up for making cider as much as you enjoy making it.
That is a very beautiful project!!!:mug:

Beautiful stuff.

I really enjoyed all three versions of a split batch that I did. We just bottled this week, but tasted great at bottling.
My favorite was the 100ish percent brett batch. Cultured from 2 bottles of crooked stave in 1 qt of cider for a week. (Plus any natural yeasts on the crab apples)
Search for the 'Spanish cider and brett' thread for more details

One other note. A buddy did a batch the same week I did and I found that I preferred mine(no sugar) to his(1lb sugar)

Cheers

Back