First Cider Today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
  • 4 Gallons fresh farm cider (no preservatives, cold pasterurized)
  • 2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
  • 4 tsp yeast nutrient
  • 2.25 cups brown sugar
  • 4 grams Nottingham Ale Yeast

O.G.= 1.060..in basement now @ 67/68....I feel good about it.

How did I do?

looks pretty by the book to me. Did you add the pectic enzyme 12 hours before pitching the yeast?

looks pretty by the book to me. Did you add the pectic enzyme 12 hours before pitching the yeast?
You don't actually have to. You just have to get it in the brew before there is to much dissolved co2 in the liquid. If you add a powder with co2 in the liquid you could end up with a volcano.

I find it usually takes about 48 hours for pectin enzyme to finish it's job anyway. I've added it post fermentation to clear a brew a few times.

I would expect this brew to take off like a missile.

Apple juice and cider are fairly nutrient rich to start with. You then added a normal amount of yeast nutrient. On top of that, the molasses in the brown sugar is also nutrient rich.

If you've got one, now would be a good time to install a blow off tube. It should taste good when it's done though.

Back