First cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msujack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I made a Mangrove Jack pear cider last weekend the 16th. I have read about back sweetening and pasteurizing on the stove. So, in this kit they have non-fermentable sugar that is supposed to automatically back sweeten when the fermentation happens to avoid uber dryness. So waiting until it finishes fermenting shouldn't be an issue.

Now, when I bottle condition, would I be able to just carb it up with a few oz of dextros for the 6gal batch and let it go or am I risking bottle bombs? The way I am seeing it, the only thing left to ferment would be the "bottling" sugar. Is this thinking correct since I have back sweetened with non-fermentable sugars? If so, any advice as to the amount of sugar for a 6 gal batch to avoid pasteurizing? I was thinking 3oz or 3.5 oz.

I have brewed my fair share of beer, so I get the process but am looking to avoid pasteurizing while bottle conditioning. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the calculator, so utilizing that information, if I want things medium carbed, I am looking at 1.75-2.00 oz. of corn sugar with my temp and volume.

Would the corn sugar ferment out like it does in beer, or does it go further in the fermentation process and put undo pressure on the bottles?

I guess another way to ask it: Does it matter whether it is Cider or Beer that has ended fermentation (reaching final gravity) when you add bottling sugar to the batch to bottle?

The items I read on the subject state that you need to "back sweeten" then stove pasteurize the bottles when the correct amount of carbination is achieved. If the only fermentable is the bottling sugar, does it "go further" for cider than beer? Or will I be safe and not over-carb cider with the 1.75oz of sugar?

Its safe. The stove top is for cinders with more fermentable sugar than the bottle can deal with.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks for the calculator, so utilizing that information, if I want things medium carbed, I am looking at 1.75-2.00 oz. of corn sugar with my temp and volume.

Would the corn sugar ferment out like it does in beer, or does it go further in the fermentation process and put undo pressure on the bottles?

I guess another way to ask it: Does it matter whether it is Cider or Beer that has ended fermentation (reaching final gravity) when you add bottling sugar to the batch to bottle?

The items I read on the subject state that you need to "back sweeten" then stove pasteurize the bottles when the correct amount of carbination is achieved. If the only fermentable is the bottling sugar, does it "go further" for cider than beer? Or will I be safe and not over-carb cider with the 1.75oz of sugar?

It will ferment out completely. If you have a completely dry cider, then you treat it like beer and just carb it up, but I guess that is pretty dry. This dryness is why people back sweeten by adding to much sugar and then stove top pasteurize.

FWIW, bottles will take more than 2.5-3 vols. I know I've been over 3 and never had a bottle explode. Let's just call it a mistake and move on. I do carb almost all my beers at 2.2-2.5 vols. I also inspect every bottle every time and pitch for and thought of a flaw.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Back