First cider - got questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuknkrvl

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I made my first batch of cider recently. Tossed a couple campden tabs in as recommended by the staff at my LHBS, waited about thirty hours, then pitched the yeast. It's fermenting strongly, day seven.

Obviously I'm in new water here, so I don't know what to expect during this fermentation. Here's my questions -

I had read that campden tablets would blow off some sulfur, but today is the first day I've noticed any sulfur odor. Is it normal to put it off this late?

When should/can I expect the batch to start clearing?

Do you recommend fining? If so, what's your go to fining agent, and what's your process?

Thanks!

Was your cider fresh juice? Did you use pectic enzyme. I had one that didn't naturally clear for months. Give it time. Then cold crash.

Hey everyone,

I made my first batch of cider recently. Tossed a couple campden tabs in as recommended by the staff at my LHBS, waited about thirty hours, then pitched the yeast. It's fermenting strongly, day seven.

Obviously I'm in new water here, so I don't know what to expect during this fermentation. Here's my questions -

I had read that campden tablets would blow off some sulfur, but today is the first day I've noticed any sulfur odor. Is it normal to put it off this late?

When should/can I expect the batch to start clearing?

Do you recommend fining? If so, what's your go to fining agent, and what's your process?

Thanks!

What kind of juice did you use?

@seabrew8 - I used Louisburg 100% apple cider, no preservatives.

@Hoppy2bmerry - Yes, I used pectinase. I followed the instructions on the bottle for how much to add, but again, new territory for me so not sure if I did it right.

@bucketnative - Thanks for the links!

Back