First cider batch, what next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pingwin77

Reaction score
So I have 10 gallons of fresh cider that has been split into 2, 5 gallon batches. I used 2 different yeasts to see what would happen. I pitched the yeast about 5 weeks ago. I was sent out of state for a lot of work and forgot all about this cider until now. Is it bad or can I save it?

If it can be saved, what do I need to do to bottle it so it carbonates?

depending on what it has done in your absence it is quite possibly excellent! leaving it alone for a while is a highly recommended strategy. how does it look? gravity reading?
do you want it fizzy or still??

If it was under an airlock, it should be just fine. You'll find this quite informative: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter1-3.html
It's for beer, but the process is exactly the same for bottling sparkling cider. BTW, you can also use swing top bottles & they eliminate the need for crown caps or a capper, I LOVE my swing top bottles, one of the best buys I ever made. Hope the link helps. Regards, GF.

It was kept under airlock the whole time. They are both pretty clear but I have not pulled a gravity reading yet. I have no idea if I want still or fizzy. My first idea would be fizzy. Are there brands out there that I can try that reflect both still and fizzy?

I have all the capping stuff that I need since I also brew beer, so that is not going to be a problem. I just prime it with sugar the same way I would prime beer? Same amounts and everything?

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm really hoping this first batch turns out.

Fortunatley you have suceeded in the hardest cider making part for new and old cider makers. Not touching it until at least a month has passed!

I would get the cider off the bulk of the lees though. If you are going ot bottle that is fine, or rerack it and let it sit two more months. If you are bottle carbing it you would want to do so now.

Back