First Cider Batch Started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsEggy

Reaction score
Hello all,
So I have my first batch of hard cider fermenting as we speak. It was definitely easier then the porter we started last week but we still came into some minor difficulties, mostly on what exactly needed to be done. While looking over forums and websites I got a lot of different answers on how to start a cider with juice I bought from a local orchard that was flash pasteurized.

We went to the local brew supplier and they said add yeast nutrience, pectic enzyme, campden tablets, sugar, and yeast. Though we decided to not add the campden tabs and after doing the hydrometer (that had a reading of 1.050) we didn't add sugar.

Obviously, we're completely new to this. Does anyone have any ideas on what could have done better?

No advice really, except don't fiddle with it too much. I just tasted my first ever cider a few days ago and now I can't wait for it to be ready. As yeasty and weird as it was, I could tell how good it is going to be. Strong too! A half a coffee mug worth and I was feeling quite relaxed.

Latest posts

Back