First cider attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r50maier

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hastily started a 5 gallon batch of cider the other night when my brewing plans were interrupted. I’ve brewed several 5 gallon kits of beer in the past, but it’s been 5+ years, and i’ve never done cider.

I have read numerous FAQs, stickies, forums, recipes. With all the info out there, i’m simply confused at this point. Here’s where I am so far:

1. I used a locally sourced, pasteurized cider with no additives. I did not heat or attempt to pasteurize it myself.
2. I heated about 2 cups of cider until it was shy of lukewarm and started my Red Star Premier Blanc yeast. It sat at room temp for roughly 24 hrs.
3. I poured half the cider into a sanitized fermenting bucket, then half the yeast starter, then repeated. Then I lightly mixed it. OG measured at 1.150.
4. I have it fermenting in a cool room in the basement, roughly 58-60*. It is bubbling nicely.

I feel the OG was very high. I’m hoping for a dry, lightly carbonated cider when this is done, but still want a cider taste. I’m planning on a secondary and possibly tertiary ferment, but not sure if that is necessary. Does anyone have any tips to make sure this first batch is drinkable, and doesn’t make bottle bombs?

I did triple check the reading, but it was a new hydrometer and it’s been a while since I used one, so I won’t argue it’s validity!

I can sanitize the stuff and get a pic. I don’t like to bother it once it’s going, but for learning purposes and you guys assisting, I certainly can this evening.

07134B42-29F9-48D1-99C8-5C225527C8C3.jpeg
67C38FC7-57F3-4B00-A02E-75E329C81831.jpeg
How would everyone read this? The cider smelled very yeasty, which I assume is normal at this point. The taste was a little bitter/tart/green. Not much apple taste, which I also assume is normal. I couldn’t find my transfer clip, and accidentally put the transfer at the bottom of the primary, so I had a bad transfer, but here it is, 2 weeks in.

I can read pic #3 best and it looks like 1.000. Which means it's pretty close to FG. To make sure your hydrometer is working properly, I'd check it with distilled water at 60*, or whatever temp is stamped on your hydrometer. If that reads 1.000, then she's working well. If not....
Like Dave I'm suspicious that something was off on your OG reading. Unless someone added sugar, then fresh cider out of the jug should read somewhere around 1.050. And if it was 1.150, then that someone would have added about 12 lb. of sugar to that 5G batch. Something doesn't compute.

An OG of 1.150, fermented down to 1.000, would yield about 21% ABV. Premier Blanc yeast is only rated for 13-15% ABV max. I don't think your OG was that high.

I agree, i’m sure OG must have been incorrect. So, I won’t know what ABV is, but any tips to make this basic cider as good as it can be?

At this point, most of whats done is done, at least for primary fermentation. How does it taste now?

Secondary+ will be great for clearing. Be sure to minimize head-space. Active ferm is done so no need to be concerned about an overflow.

If it tastes sharp or hot, 1-6 months can make a helluva difference. Some of the apple flavor may return too.

It is fairly tasteless right now. Still tastes green, and barely any apple taste. I’m sure time will help. It’s in the secondary now. I’m thinking anywhere from 2-6 months, then prime and bottle. I may try xylitol if it ends up being too dry.

Back