First cider (1 gallon) what should i do?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
image-2873949515.jpg

Should I add anything or just let it ferment as is? Maybe the first one I should just let it rock and roll. It came out to 1.053 and I have lavin d-47. I also have some wine tannin. Do I add this? I bought this cause I thought I was supposed to add it but I couldn't find any recipes that say they need it

Also, can I just add yeast to this bottle? Do I need to pour some out? What's the best fermenting temp?

You just need a bung and airlock, but yeah you can pitch the yeast right into the bottle and maybe add a yeast nutrient and yeast energizer to it. you may want to take about a 1/4 a cup to 1/2 cup out of it, to give it head space but otherwise it looks good. You shouldn't really need the tannins but that's up to you. for fermenting, just go with the recommended temp for the yeast. For D47 it's 59° to 68°F you can do around the 65°F and be fine all the way.

D47 is great, hold off on the tannins unless it needs it before bottling. One whole yeast packet is way overpitching for 1 gal, you could add 1/4 and do fine, the flavor will come out better.

Keep the temps stable, no large swings. Do your best to not sample, one gal goes fast!

you will want to aerate it, just shake it up well for about 2 minutes before you put the airlock on. another reason to take a little off the top.

Yeah, I just got done brewing a few experimental batches myself. I did 2 one gallons of regular hard cider and 2 one gallon of apple wine, all with different yeasts. They all turned out great, I am just letting them bulk age now until right before Halloween.

My Experiments

Let us know how yours turns out. I will be posting more updates after I get mine bottle and a few down on Halloween.

Elgran said:
Yeah, I just got done brewing a few experimental batches myself. I did 2 one gallons of regular hard cider and 2 one gallon of apple wine, all with different yeasts. They all turned out great, I am just letting them bulk age now until right before Halloween.

My Experiments

Let us know how yours turns out. I will be posting more updates after I get mine bottle and a few down on Halloween.

I def will let you know how it goes. It's been 12 hours since I added the yeast and I can see it starting to form on top. My wife wants me to add some pumpkin spice to the cider. I'm not sure when todo it. Or if I should have already. After reading your post I might just add some to a bottle.

Yeah I have read a lot of places it can add an off flavor if adding during primary, they say seconday or bottling is when to add. so I figured I would wait and see, I got a few responses on ways I will try. I also think a Stout Graff experiment is my next thing.

Back