First Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howiedoin59

Reaction score
Brewing my first chocolate stout (second stout ever) and am curious about opinions on best chocolate use and the recipe below. Going for decent chocolate aroma and flavor with thick mouth feel but not dessert in a glass...expecting primary chocolate notes from the roasted barley and cocoa powder.

10.0 lb 2-Row
1 lb roasted barley
1 lb carapils
1 lb flaked Barley
0.5 lb Chocolate malt
0.5 lb Black malt

1 oz cascade @ 60
1 oz cascade @ 30
2 tablespoons cocoa powder @ 5 minutes

wyeast 1084 irish ale liquid

OG = 62, FG = 17, 40 IBU (excluding minor addition from chocolate)

2 tbls is not much at all. I usually dump half to 2/3 an 8oz can of powder into secondary. Or 8oz bag of cocoa nibs. I personally like nibs better.

I agree, 2T not a lot. I recently made my third choc stout, 2.5G size, and used 4.4 ounces of Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder with 10 mins left in boil. Also added 4ounces cocoa nibs soaked in vodka to primary after fermentation had subsided. This beer is one of my all time favorites, is not sweet and has a nice chocolate, roasty flavor. But the recipe I used had other differences, including flaked oats for a creamy mouthfeel. This is it, except I used more cocoa and nibs AND used the recipe in Post #31 in the thread rather than the original
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/triple-chocolate-milk-stout-chocolate-lovers-only.568586/

Cheers!

I agree, 2T not a lot. I recently made my third choc stout, 2.5G size, and used 4.4 ounces of Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder with 10 mins left in boil. Also added 4ounces cocoa nibs soaked in vodka to primary after fermentation had subsided. This beer is one of my all time favorites, is not sweet and has a nice chocolate, roasty flavor. But the recipe I used had other differences, including flaked oats for a creamy mouthfeel. This is it, except I used more cocoa and nibs AND used the recipe in Post #31 in the thread rather than the original
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/triple-chocolate-milk-stout-chocolate-lovers-only.568586/

Cheers!
Thanks! The hard part is that I have apparently recently become lactose intolerant (which i learned when drinking milkshake stouts!) so I need to avoid the lactose component. I am trying to keep it on the less bitter side and changed the recipe to exclude the black malt and upped the chocolate to a pound. I've got the carapils and flaked barley there to give it a thick mouthfeel and head...i debated between that and oats but went with the combo. I also changed to 5 oz unsweetened cocoa powder at flameout. Here's hoping!

That’s a bummer about the lactose. I’m not an expert but I think those changes sound good. Let us know how it comes out!

If you cannot have Lactose, Flaked Barley and / or Malted oats ( flaked oats can also work ) are your best option ( personal preference ). Add enough, it will help the body seem fuller and add creaminess and thickness.

I cannot have lactose either and when I make a stout I add some maltodextrin to give it that body that you would expect from lactose.

Back