first brew...Wizards wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppySatan

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm new to brewing and received a homebrewheaven kit(complete with kegging) with Wizards Wheat as a gift from my wife (yeah she rocks). We followed the recipe directions and all seems well. I racked to secondary after a week and keep getting different opinions on how long to let it sit in secondary. Any ideas? The sg and fg were within the stated range. The taste seemed ok, a little malty i guess, hard to really tell for me without being carbed and chilled. Anyway I guess it's ok to just let it sit for a couple of weeks or will it taste the same but just clear a little? My second ingredients just showed up today...watermelon ale...we'll see how that goes.

it being a wheat you don't need to secondary, it's actually recommended that you not. Usually wheats are good for 2 weeks prime and then bottle.

Good to know. Like I said I did get some different opinions, one or two did mention primary only. I guess I'll keg it. Thanks

Welcome to the board! That is a keeper of a wife, though she may grow to regret the gift ;) I'm kidding, my SWMBO loves the beer I brew so she abides my obsession. Once your gravity is stable, you can transfer to your keg and force carbonate. Here is a good chart for carbonation.

Have fun and use the search option often, there are many threads here with great info. I also highly suggest reading through all the stickys as they are often very informative and humorous!

Cheers!

thanks for the chart. Yeah I know that I need to make use of the search option, my bad. I'll post my results :mug:

Well it's kegged! Forced carbed to the best of my ability. Chilled then tasted............not bad, not bad at all. I had to adjust the carbonation a bit and the next day(colder and carbier) and we like it. Hope it gets better by the day :cross: So thanks to learning ALOT by reading posts on here I think everything is gonna be alright. Saturday is brew day for a watermelon ale. i'll be posting as I go. :mug:

Congrats on your first brew:ban: What exactly is the Watermelon Ale? Is there watermelon actually involved in the boil or in the secondary? Was just curious when I read it...

Watermelon ale is from Williams Brew. It comes with an watermelon extract so we'll see. As far as thw Wizards Wheat tasting magical....not quite but I ain't pouring down the drain either. For my 1st brew I'm alright with it.

Back