First brew, strange flotation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeus

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Anyway, 8 days ago I brewed my first batch of an amber ale. I steeped my grains in 2 gallons of water at about 160 degrees for around 15-20 minutes, then brought it to a boil and added two cans of malt extract. Also added 1.5 oz Hallertau hops. I did not add any sugar, just used extract. Boiled for 60 minutes, stirring about every 10. The boil went really smooth (surprisingly). Added 3 gallons cold water to my sanitized 7 gallon bucket fermenter. Poured the wort in and waited until temp was about 70 degrees and pitched the dry yeast. I can't recall the OG offhand but it read 7% ABV so if you want to look at your hydrometer and figure it out you can.

As I said, it's been sitting for 8 days now in a dark room at around 70 degrees. I just now opened the lid to take a hydrometer reading (it's at 1.020 right now) and there is a brown substance floating on the top (yeast?). Is this part of the process? Does this ever sink to the bottom?

Thanks for the help!

I would imagine it may be the remnants of the Krausen or maybe your yeast hanging out up there. Either way this is perfectly fine and normal. Let it stay another 6 days in your primary before checking it again, unless of course you plan to rack to a secondary. If you wait it should drop out by then. No cause for alarm.

Hey thanks a lot for the advice, I'll let it sit for another 6 days and let you know the outcome.

Argh the waiting is the hardest part...

Cheers:mug:

Mikeus said:
Hey thanks a lot for the advice, I'll let it sit for another 6 days and let you know the outcome.

Argh the waiting is the hardest part...

Cheers:mug:

waiting on the first batch to finish by be the longest wait known to man. I thank I drank about half of my first batch green.

Latest posts

Back