First Brew Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfire

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I'm getting set up for homebrewing and I'm starting to collect my equipment. I plan on kegging my beer. What would be a good, easy first beer to brew? I really like dark lagers and stouts but I understand they are a little harder to do that a simple ale. I like the sweeter beers such as honey brown and I hope to make some of those later on. I'm sure I want to start with some pre packaged recipes but I just don't know where to start at. All suggestions are welcome. I'll be doing a lot of reading in the meantime. Thanks in advance for all your advice from my first post!

jfire

Do a stout kit. Stout is a type of ale and it is significantly easier than a lager.

I started with the brown ale recipe from Charlie P.'s Complete Joy of Homebrewing.

But if you're impatient, try a German Hefewizen. They are pretty forgiving on fermentation temps.

I started with the brown ale recipe from Charlie P.'s Complete Joy of Homebrewing.

But if you're impatient, try a German Hefewizen. They are pretty forgiving on fermentation temps.

+1 on the Hefewizen, in addition they are supposed to be cloudy, so you don't have to wait as long for 'perfectly clear' beer.

Wow! Such quick replies! I think i will go with some sort of chocolate stout. I still have a week or two to decide. Thanks to all who reply!

jfire

Go with an extract kit from Northern Brewer of Austin Homebrew. Just sanitize everything like a boss and follow the instructions precisely. And have fun!

As for the specific style -- depends on what you like.

Someone mentioned doing a stout kit. If I'm kegging, does that mean I have to go with a nitrogen setup, or can I push a "Guinnes" type stout through my normal CO2?

Latest posts

Back