first brew - post-Thanksgiving report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkpdogg

Reaction score
Just thought I'd report back on my first brew. I was trying to find a way to serve my first beer at Thanksgiving (Cali Common kit) and got started a bit late: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/primary-vs-conditioning-what-do-under-time-constraint-85818/

So I kept it in primary for 16 days, then bottled and conditioned for 20 days. I tried some at the 7 and 14 day points and liked the flavor, but worried that the complexity wasn't developing quickly enough ...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/taste-young-beer-89821/

Well, I certainly learned to RDWHAHB, because sure enough, my tasting on Thanksgiving morning revealed a beer that filled out just nicely. Surely it had much room for improvement, but it was nice enough to share with my family, and they were definitely impressed. Yes, I admit that they aren't what I'd consider qualified judges (they drink Coors Light and Stella :p), but hey, my wife's a beer snob like me (she digs Stone Brewing's RIS and Old Guardian) and SHE was actually pleased with it!

I am now completely obsessed with this hobby and have already been looking to design a special fermentation/conditioning tower. My only wishes are that I had more room to do all-grain and that I got into this hobby a few years back so I'd have been ready to participate in the 8-8-08 RIS and 9-9-09 Barley Wine fun.

Cheers!
:mug:

Now all you need to do is cultivate the patience to let ALL your brews age at least this long! Get some more fermentors, that will help:D

Hey welcome to the obsession, I would recommend reading the Wikki, Stickies, and FAQ's. (That sounds kind of dirty actually).
There is a lot of great information on this site, and with a little tweaking of your processes, controlling the temperature, and picking great recipes shared here you will be making fantastic beer very quickly to the point your wife and you will not want to drink any commercial beer.
Oh, and getting some more fermenter's and filling the pipeline really helps also.

Back