First Brew - Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlpavalko

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I've taken the leap into the fermenting bucket and decided to start my first batch of homebrew.

I picked up all the equipment this past weekend and plan to brew this coming weekend.

My first batch is going to be a True Brew all malt Pale Ale kit.

I am mostly interested in getting the whole process down for my first batch, not necessarily making some kind of earth-shatteringly good beer. At the same time, though, I don't want to make something that takes all that time and just tastes like. . . meh.

So, any suggestions for a way to improve the current recipe I have? (see below)

I would like to keep things in the pale ale range (meaning I don't want to dry hop the batch and turn it into an IPA or something).

Suggestions? Comments? Advice for my first brew day?

2 lb light malt extract
6oz crystal 2 row barley malt
1oz UK First gold hop pellets
3lb hopped light malt extract

if that's a pre-assembled recipe then i'd stick to it. the first brew there is a lot of chaos so keeping it simple and not throwing a bunch of craziness in there is a good idea. when does it tell you to add your hops?

Just stick to the prepared recipe and I think you may be surprised at how good it really is.

if that's a pre-assembled recipe then i'd stick to it. the first brew there is a lot of chaos so keeping it simple and not throwing a bunch of craziness in there is a good idea. when does it tell you to add your hops?

Definitely stick to the script.

And welcome, from another Hoosier!

@ Jester, hops are added after the grains have been soaked then boiled for 20-30 mins.

ok cool. I saw you had hopped malt extract and was wondering if they had you throw the hops in for aroma. Since it's the last 20 minutes of the boil those are defnately aroma hops.

nlpavalko said:
Thanks Naptown. Actually, I'm a transplant to Indiana. I grew up as a Buckeye!

Bah! Go Blue!

Like everyone said, stick to the recipe. For your next brew, I'd move away from hopped extract and do all the hop additions yourself. Doesn't add all that much complexity but gives you more control!

Back