First Brew on new eBIAB!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobadays

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well... It's alive! Some may have peeked at my build thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=582004 and even if you haven't... I have had to sort through several issues, mainly electrical but that has been done and, well this brew day went really great! I will still have to sort out my "rig" so that I know what kind of losses I will have so that I can adjust volumes and grains appropriately but overall I'm happy with how it went.

Started out with 8.25 gallons of water, - had a 15.25# grain bill - after the mash I had 7.14 gallons and after the boil/chilling - including water trapped in the CF chiller and other lines I ended up with just north of 5 gallons of wort before pumping to the fermenter. Just right at 5 gallons in the fermenter.

I boiled for 60 minutes in a 16 gallon Bayou Classic kettle. I planned for about 1,25 gallon boil off but I think it was north of 1.75. I had my PID set at 65% power but could have dropped that maybe to 60% and saved a little boil off...anyone??

But... Brewers friend showed my OG calculated efficiency at 77.36% which I'm stoked about considering this was my first batch All Grain and with a new rig!

This is a 10 Barrel Brewing Joe IPA clone... we will see how it turns out in a few weeks!

Thanks for all the help getting up and running!

Don
Primary: Joe IPA clone
Secondary: nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, APA and Rye IPA
(Less than! 2 cases of homebrew left...gotta get this rig up and running!)

Cool... I hope the clone turns out well. We were up in Oregon a few weeks ago and got my first taste of Joe IPA...one of the better ones for sure. I think 10 Barrel is owned by AB but it's still a good beer. Wish I could get it here in AZ, just have to settle for Hop Hunter when the homebrew runs low.

Don
Primary: Joe IPA clone
(Less than! 2 cases of homebrew left...gotta get this rig up and running!)

Even with all my mistakes/problems/worries...(See my other thread - with recipe as well) this brew turned out phenomenal! Even converted a craft brew "virgin" neighbor - who says she doesn't like beer. She liked this one!

I can't buy Joe IPA locally and wish I could to compare as I'm thinking this clone recipe is every bit as good if not a little better. I have always been a steep/partial mash and LME brewer...on and off for 30 years, and felt my beers were pretty good 90% of the time. But there is just a taste in every one that is the same... I've tried numerous yeasts (Love US-05 and MJ-M44 for IPA's and Pales, US-04 is pretty good for darker beers for me) but that taste was always still there...not bad just a flavor that I couldn't get rid of. First AG and it's gone! I was always in the "extracts-AG... both methods can make great beer and that "extract flavor" is just in your head" camp. I need to brew a few more AG batches with my new eBIAB rig but I think I'm changing camps... ALL GRAIN DOES make better beer!

Happy Brewing!

Don
Primary: nothing
Kegged: Joe IPA Clone

Back