First Brew - Newbie!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jslive4now

Reaction score
Hello!! Very new to home brewing.. Brewed my first batch, a Saison... All went well on brewing day, sanitation followed to a "T"... All extract batch with LME and DME, East Kent Goldings and Czech Saaz hops and Lallemand Belle Saison Yeast. All targets meet with regard to OG, chilling, etc...

Fermentation completed in 6-7 days (currently on day 9) to 1.012 (OG of 1.056).. On day seven when I checked the SG I tasted my brew.. Has a hot alcohol taste.. I'm figuring the yeast still have some cleaning up todo... Is this normal?? Temps were held at 70-71 and fermentation started with in 24 hours...

I check SG today as well and still 1.012 so looks like Fermentation is complete.. Tasted again and wasn't as strong...

Anyway I'm probably rambling in since it's late.. But your thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

Hello!! Very new to home brewing.. Brewed my first batch, a Saison... All went well on brewing day, sanitation followed to a "T"... All extract batch with LME and DME, East Kent Goldings and Czech Saaz hops and Lallemand Belle Saison Yeast. All targets meet with regard to OG, chilling, etc...

Fermentation completed in 6-7 days (currently on day 9) to 1.012 (OG of 1.056).. On day seven when I checked the SG I tasted my brew.. Has a hot alcohol taste.. I'm figuring the yeast still have some cleaning up todo... Is this normal?? Temps were held at 70-71 and fermentation started with in 24 hours...

I check SG today as well and still 1.012 so looks like Fermentation is complete.. Tasted again and wasn't as strong...

Anyway I'm probably rambling in since it's late.. But your thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

Probably fine, don't worry. Remember that the fermentation temperature is usually a little higher that the ambient temperature.

Congrats on the first of many brews!

I would think that yeast may come down an extra point or two at least.
Try to softly rouse the yeast and warm up the fv by a few degrees if you can,just to make sure it is done for real.
I find that this strain gives extra carbonation,so if bottling, mabe ho a little low on carbonation sugar

Yes completely normal.
5.9% alcohol by volume is gonna taste a little hot for a while. Give it a good 4 weeks in the fermenter for the yeast to clear up any left overs. I've had a stout that took a good 2 months in the secondary to get rid of the hottness. Delicious now. And I'm currently aging a barley wine in the secondary till October from last month to help with flavor blending. 15% alcohol by volume tasted a week in like sweetened rubbing alchohol and by week 2 flavor had improved tremendously.

Capture.JPG

Latest posts

Back